Talk

Advanced search

What's the strangest/funniest baby 'advice' you've been given?!

(45 Posts)
Icarriedawatermelon123 Mon 08-Aug-16 15:07:14

I started an earlier thread about dealing with unwelcome comments and advice and it got me thinking.. as humour is sometimes the best way to cope with things... whats the funniest/most weird baby advice you've ever been given?

Would be good to hear some and all have a good giggle about it!

Mine are (regarding my newborn DS)
'You should keep him awake during the day by not feeding him.. so he will sleep longer at night!' (This gem was given by my own father! I worry about how I must have been raised!)

'Put a hat on him he must be cold' - said indoors at MILs house with heating set at 25degrees in mid July.

'Don't drink cool drinks... as you're BF it will give your baby colic!'

OP’s posts: |
Stevefromstevenage Wed 10-Aug-16 10:16:06

Timeto infant formula powder is not sterile.

From
NHS

'Even when tins and packets of powdered infant formula are sealed, they can sometimes contain bacteria such as Cronobacter sakazakii and, more rarely, salmonella. Although these bacteria are very rare, the infections they cause can be life-threatening.'

Timetogrowup2016 Wed 10-Aug-16 10:23:05

The world health organisation says it's fine.

Anyway it's up to the parents to make that choice...
I only do it when I go out if I can't afford ready made that week

Gowgirl Wed 10-Aug-16 10:23:14

Fwiw all of my babies napped In the garden wrapped up well in a silver cross pram....they did seem to sleep better even in February...

GinIsIn Wed 10-Aug-16 10:28:19

scurry - I have no idea how or why, but your midwife was actually correct. The university of Southampton did a study on it and weirdly your pain threshold is indeed linked to hair colour.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9166995/Redheads-feel-more-pain-than-people-with-dark-hair.html

SlinkyVagabond Wed 10-Aug-16 10:39:54

My darling df was agog at day old twin one lifting his head up and "looking round"when he was being cuddled. He was so chuffed he pointed it out to everyone.
It was really common amongst southern European immigrants, when I was a kid in Australia, to shave their kids heads to encourage thick curly hair.
I got told off for tickling my dneice's feet as it would make her stammer.

Stevefromstevenage Wed 10-Aug-16 11:44:02

Timeto Can you put up the link where the WHO says infant formula is sterile because this is taken directly from their advice

WHO advice

'Powdered infant formula is not sterile1. It may contain bacteria that can cause serious illness in infants. By preparing and storing powdered infant formula correctly, you can reduce the risk of illness. This leaflet contains new information to help you prepare bottle feeds from powdered infant formula as safely as possible'

The advice you put up comes after pages of telling you how to make a bottle in the safest manner and it is supposed to be for circumstances where boiled water is not a possibility.

glueandstick Wed 10-Aug-16 15:53:30

To put shampoo in a babies eye to clear conjunctivitis. Right.

imsorryiasked Wed 10-Aug-16 16:09:24

From the HV when I was worried ds wasn't weaning - well you're not working so you have plenty of time, make him some nice mushroom pate . . .

Peridotisinvalid Thu 11-Aug-16 17:50:46

"Not advice but my dad thought baby's eyes didn't open for 6 weeks - 'u know like kittens!!' he said!!"

Missgraeme, was your dad not around when you were a baby then? confused

Karinelizack Thu 11-Aug-16 20:07:53

Oh god...... My Mother in law is insane. She thinks I'm a horrible mother because my one year old son is out in the wind, apparently when there is a breeze if will suffocate a baby. On a cloudy day she makes him where a hat in the stroller with the entire hood up because he will burn. We have to close all the blinds in the house because he will burn. she still treats my husband like this so he is clueless to how insane she really is.

1234MNT Thu 11-Aug-16 20:56:05

glueandstick the advice to clean the eye with shampoo is a misinterpretation of the advice to use diluted baby shampoo to clean the eyes when suffering from blepharitis which causes similar symptoms as conjunctivitis but has an entirely different cause.

patient.info/health/blepharitis-leaflet

Stevefromstevenage Thu 11-Aug-16 21:35:55

Breastmilk does wonders for conjunctivitis if you happen to be BF. grin

ImYourMama Fri 12-Aug-16 07:46:01

Has anyone else seen this thread has ended up on the sodding Daily Mail angry

Summersun5789 Fri 12-Aug-16 07:50:18

HV told me, don't cuddles to lo much

And that jumperoo and seat swing were not good as it meant I was holding baby as much as I should be

Contradicting herself

Totally ignored

Same HV told neighbour about breastfeeding, swaddling etc she had four young children , I think she already has an idea on how to do things

pipppopin Fri 12-Aug-16 07:55:55

Years ago we lived overseas & employed a Filipina nanny to help with my first DS. When he was around 8 months old, one night I went into his room & found him soundly sleeping in his cot with wads of newspaper stuffed down his onesie, front & back. Nanny explained that it was the best way to keep him cool & soak up sweathmm

SlinkyVagabond Fri 12-Aug-16 09:42:12

Just came on to say that Mama. Lazy arsed journos. I'm going to include random swears in every post from now. Or change my name to Something anti DM.

Icarriedawatermelon123 Fri 12-Aug-16 13:26:20

Haha quite flattered!
Another one I hear a lot of from MIL is that I should be drinking loads of milk as I'm BF.. is anyone else getting this and is there any truth to it? I was careful about calcium intake and vitamin D during my pregnancy but not so much now.

OP’s posts: |
ImYourMama Fri 12-Aug-16 14:01:15

Not at all- a varied and balanced diet is good for breastfeeding. Cows don't need to drink goat milk when they're lactating. MIL is cray cray

Featherybum Sun 21-Aug-16 19:46:20

From a friend of a friend while expecting DC1

"Don't breastfeed, it will make your nipples really big and dark brown".

BF both children. Can confirm this did not happen.

laurzj82 Sun 21-Aug-16 20:19:46

MIL told me not to feed dd too often; only every 4 hours

And the best one.. start potty training as soon as dd could sit up! Thinks I'm a total failure as I haven't started yet. Dd is 2.5

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in