Talk

Advanced search

Baby due September, sleepwear!

(9 Posts)
Charlie97 Tue 02-Aug-16 22:33:32

My close friend is borrowing our heirloom crib (62 years old!) I slept in it ad did my siblings, my children slept in it as did all my nieces and nephews. A few friends children also along the way.

Anyway my friend wants to use it for her expected baby, thrilled! I'm getting her a new mattress, sheets and also want to get her sleep wear. Now I'm very out of touch, but I believe baby duvets are almost longer recommended! So is it a gro bag? What tog? Baby due mid September.

Thanks

Charlie97 Tue 02-Aug-16 22:34:29

Are no longer recommended!

5madthings Tue 02-Aug-16 22:36:57

Grobags yes but get some baby nighties or baby bundlers as they seem to be called. Fab for night time nappy changes as no poppers!

M&s and John Lewis sell them.

Re grobags if still warm you may want a 1 tog one and otherwise they are 2.5tog.

apatheticfallacy Tue 02-Aug-16 22:44:48

Aww how lovely! Sleeping bags are fantastic (grobag or other brand) - but the baby has to reach a minimum weight before it's suitable. I can't recall exactly what weight but I know my (large!) DS was born above the required weight but I still waited a few months before I transitioned from blankets.

For a newborn they do special ones: like this or this but I haven't tried either.

I started at around three months and have had a range from 0.5-2.5 tog. I think 1 tog would be great for September because of its hot baby can be in just a nappy or vest and if it's cold then she can layer vest and sleepsuit plus sleeping bag. A higher tog wouldn't give that option and 0.5 is really for very hot nights or warm holidays.

I bought a couple of blankets I liked and was given about five more. My childminder friend gave me a few second hand but clean sleeping bags and they got the most use by far except for the blanket I keep in the car to pop over the car seat.

You sound like such a nice friend!

Charlie97 Tue 02-Aug-16 22:49:49

Ok, so some (2?) blankets and maybe a 1 tog gro bag for when he/she is a little older? Maybe I'll go for 2.5 assuming in may be mod October by then.

I am honoured that she wanted to use our crib, so lovey to think it's being used again!

CaitAgusMadra Tue 02-Aug-16 22:53:18

I'd go for 2.5 tog in 0 - 6 month size. She'll get all winter out of it. We only really use our 1.0 tog bags during the summer months

Charlie97 Tue 02-Aug-16 22:56:07

Apathetic

I LOVE the gro snug....... Definitely getting one of those!!

apatheticfallacy Wed 03-Aug-16 00:06:43

Glad to be of service

tips hat

What I meant re: blankets is that every kind person I even vaguely knew had knitted/crocheted/bought me one. They are all lovely and special but I was drowning in them - especially little Moses basket size ones. So I wouldn't worry too much about them. If she hasn't got any by the time the baby arrives then PM me and I'll send her some!

Charlie97 Thu 04-Aug-16 21:28:18

Oh that's lovely apathetic! I have got one knitted blanket for her from a friend that knits.

Bit of a change of plan, but she's got some complications that mean they will induce at 37 weeks the latest, possibly sooner.

So baby maybe a little bit prem, not sure what size baby is at until next week, but does this change bedding requirements?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now