Talk

Advanced search

Worried about DD - possible SEN?

(6 Posts)
Unicornsarelovely Thu 28-Jul-16 13:59:15

I have a lovely 9yo DD. She is young for her year but bright, loves reading and writing stories and playing computer games. She gets on well (mostly) with her younger brother and has some close friends, many of whom have been friends since Reception. She does drama and karate out of school and bubbles with confidence.

She has always really struggled with organisation. She will get changed after PE at school and forget to put her stuff away. It then goes missing. She forgets homework. When she does her homework she forgets to put it in her bag. When she remembers to put it in her bag, she often forgets to hand it in and I find it scrunched at the bottom of her bag a while later. I mentioned this to her teacher who says she's a bit scatty and will grow out of it.

She had her birthday recently and asked for a 3DS which she has wanted to about 2 years. We took it on holiday with us at her insistence. I reminded her it needed to be packed before we left the hotel, she said she had put it in her case. I checked her room, under the bed, under the matress and in the drawers all were empty. We went to the next place and she started looking for her DS and yelling that I'd stolen it. She then remembered that she'd left it on top of the bathroom cupboard. Noone picked it up and the hotel no longer have it.

She runs but awkwardly and says it hurts. She often says she has pains in her thighs and calves which the GP says are growing pains but is giving us an appointment for a blood test.

She tantrums. While we've been on holiday she has had a screaming tantrum nearly every day. The weather has been too hot, or she's bored, or why are we horrible to her by making her leave the tent, or why are we horrible to her about asking her to leave the pool... She ends by screaming that we don't love her because otherwise she could do what she wants all the time.

I'm sorry this is so long. I just have the feeling that something is a little bit not right, although she's clearly broadly functional. Should I seek a diagnosis and how? if not, is there a website or something I can read as a starting point because it is a bit wearing.

OhNoNotMyBaby Thu 28-Jul-16 14:04:56

Maybe showing some signs of dyspraxia?

Difficult - she may just be going through a difficult phase...

venys Thu 28-Jul-16 14:06:50

It might be worth getting in touch with your GP or Health Visitor to talk about your concerns. They can then refer to a paediatrician. Or get in contact with your school's SENCO but it might be difficult if the teacher doesn't think there is a problem.

Unicornsarelovely Thu 28-Jul-16 14:27:08

Thank you - I have wondered about dyspraxia but was reassured when her teacher thought it wasn't a problem. I'll have a look at the website and see if there are some techniques which would help her, even if she isn't iyswim.

I'll also have a look at her over the summer and see if tiredness at the end of term was playing its part too... If she's still struggling I'll make the Gp appointment.

Your responses are very reassuring though. I was half expecting to be told she's just badly behaved and that its my fault (which of course is always possible) so thank you.

OhNoNotMyBaby Thu 28-Jul-16 14:41:12

Reading your post again OP I'm not sure I see anything to be worried about tbh. But you know your daughter.

Have some flowers because everything will of course always be your fault - that just goes with the territory! wink

Unicornsarelovely Thu 28-Jul-16 14:44:57

Thanks grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now