Talk

Advanced search

Family nudity and personal standards of body modesty

(32 Posts)
fuctifino Thu 28-Jul-16 10:28:02

My dm was always swanning around naked and I used to cringe.
Me? If the kids walk into the bedroom or bathroom then yes, they can expect to see me naked, I certainly don't flaunt the flesh unnecessarily.

Personally, I think of you're embarrassing him you should do the decent thing and cover up.

Wondermoomin Thu 28-Jul-16 10:24:05

Sounds like he is finding it very uncomfortable. You said you don't want to make him uncomfortable, so....

Only1scoop Thu 28-Jul-16 10:22:17

I'd stop he's clearly uncomfortable....why would you not stopconfused

cosmicglittergirl Thu 28-Jul-16 10:21:46

I think it's fine. I never saw my parents naked and I think that's weird. Other European countries have a far healthier approach to nudity and body confidence.

ThoraGruntwhistle Thu 28-Jul-16 10:21:14

I think if your children have got to an age where they find you wandering about in the nip embarrassing, stop doing it. Be naked in your bedroom/bathroom and dressed elsewhere, and make sure he knows to knock on doors.

NoCapes Thu 28-Jul-16 10:19:13

I am always baffled by these threads
I couldn't imagine anything worse than being a teenager and my parents swanning around naked
Also do you hug and kiss them while you're all naked?
Literally couldn't think of anything more uncomfortable
Poor kids

LifeIsGoodish Thu 28-Jul-16 10:16:00

In the privacy of our home clothing is optional when it's just us (me, dh, our 3 dc). 15yo dc1 has become protective of his body modesty, which I respect. If he chooses to cover up, or not want to be seen naked, that's fine.

However, I'm wondering whether I need to change my behaviour. He averts his eyes if he sees me naked or half-naked. I don't go into his room naked, but that's the only thing I've changed. Our bedroom doors are opposite each other, and so even if I'm in my bedroom he is likely to see me nude.

As a family, we generally leave our doors open. Ds1 has taken to closing his, but I assumed that was basically teenage-man-cave syndrome.

I'm inclined to go on as I am. Let ds1 respect my body-choices in the way I respect his. Yet at the same time I don't want to make him uncomfortable.

Any thoughts?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »