Talk

Advanced search

Family nudity and personal standards of body modesty

(32 Posts)
LifeIsGoodish Thu 28-Jul-16 10:16:00

In the privacy of our home clothing is optional when it's just us (me, dh, our 3 dc). 15yo dc1 has become protective of his body modesty, which I respect. If he chooses to cover up, or not want to be seen naked, that's fine.

However, I'm wondering whether I need to change my behaviour. He averts his eyes if he sees me naked or half-naked. I don't go into his room naked, but that's the only thing I've changed. Our bedroom doors are opposite each other, and so even if I'm in my bedroom he is likely to see me nude.

As a family, we generally leave our doors open. Ds1 has taken to closing his, but I assumed that was basically teenage-man-cave syndrome.

I'm inclined to go on as I am. Let ds1 respect my body-choices in the way I respect his. Yet at the same time I don't want to make him uncomfortable.

Any thoughts?

Thomasisintraining Thu 28-Jul-16 11:16:39

NoCapes fair enough if that is actually the case however without actually speaking to her son how does OP or anyone else know that is the case. 16 years like privacy for many reasons having a wank so without finding out that his are linked to his mum's nudity and then her not amending her begaviour accordingly it seems a bit premature and projecting on your part calling them 'poor kids'

Blu Thu 28-Jul-16 11:18:10

Round the dinner table? I suspect this is imagination run riot.

BeyondBeyondBeyondBeyondBeyond Thu 28-Jul-16 11:45:22

Nah, blu, who doesn't sit around the dinner table with their tits out?

Highlove Thu 28-Jul-16 13:32:46

Two pregnancies later and mine would be under the table so it's not like anyone would see them anyway.grin

TheUnsullied Thu 28-Jul-16 13:53:20

If he's obviously uncomfortable then IMO you need to start putting clothes on in the communal areas of the house. A nude household is one thing when you're old enough to choose to leave but quite another when you're old enough to see certain body parts as sexual and get confused and uncomfortable but young enough that you're stuck there.

Pearlman Sun 31-Jul-16 07:18:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lljkk Sun 31-Jul-16 10:31:43

My mom was a nudist & my brothers just had to cope with it.
But OP, you sound more considerate. You see that your son is uncomfortable. Your son won't move out before long. I think it's better to be more considerate than my mother was.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »