We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

SOS

(9 Posts)
namechange848273 Wed 27-Jul-16 17:12:25

I've right royally lost it with my eldest DC every day this week. He's nearly 7. He whines about everything and bullies his younger siblings and I've just lost my shit and walloped him.

I'm absolutely ashamed of myself. I've dumped them all at their grandparents and left. I'm so close to walking out because they deserve someone better than me to look after them.

Go on, flame me. I fucking deserve it.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Wed 27-Jul-16 17:14:37

You've reached the end of you teather. The kids are somewhere safe so take some time to calm down and regroup.

namechange848273 Wed 27-Jul-16 19:25:21

Thanks flowers

CarlGrimesMissingEye Wed 27-Jul-16 19:29:27

It's not ideal but you know what, who can parent to the ideal all the time. You hit your limit, realised it, took them somewhere safe and are having a break. Sometimes you need to.

BastardBernie Wed 27-Jul-16 19:36:04

You can only take so much as a parent. School holidays are so hyped up and when it isn't as fairytAle-ish as you expected, the guilt builds up.
Tomorrow is another day, don't put up with whinging, it's not good behaviour and your children know that.
When my 6 year old plays up, I remind myself that she is 6, I am the adult and I cannot let a 6 year old wind me up. Send him to his room if his behaviour is not at the standard that you expect as many times as needed - this took three weeks for my six year old to realise that if she's good to me I'll be good to her (treats, days out etc)
I sound harsh but it's the only way in my opinion flowers

elephantoverthehill Wed 27-Jul-16 19:39:24

I hope their grand parents will calmly explain to eldest DC why you reacted in the way you did and be supportive. flowers

leccybill Wed 27-Jul-16 19:40:48

Agree with BastardBernie
Bit of tough love needed, set the tone for the holidays.

I have a 6.5yo, she can start with the whinging sometimes, but I just say I can't understand anything she's saying and send her away until she can speak clearly. No emotion, just fact "Go away and come back and speak to me when you remember how to speak nicely".

flowers Tomorrow's a new day.

BexusSugarush Wed 27-Jul-16 19:41:39

No one is going to flame you for being human. We all have our limits, parent's limits are tested more than others. No one here knows your situation, how much support you have, what difficulties you face. Even if there are no hidden justifications, having kids is HARD. It's actually a positive thing that you've opened up about it, you were smart enough to leave your kids with someone you trust. Have you considered speaking to your GP about this? Or your health visitor? It sounds like you need some support coping with things; completely normal. xxx

namechange848273 Wed 27-Jul-16 19:56:51

Thanks everyone. Support is much appreciated. Onwards and upwards, this too shall pass and all that. Yes I do need to get a bit more hard line on the whining I suppose. Having discussed everything with DH this evening we realised we've let our parenting standards slip and the children are acting out correspondingly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now