Talk

Advanced search

8 days old feeding

(11 Posts)
cheekymummy89 Sun 24-Jul-16 10:25:17

Hi there, I had my baby 8 days ago, the first couple of days he was only feeding 10ml of formula every 3 hours and midwives advised me when discharging from hospital to try and up it to 20ml every 3 hours. He was born at 5lb 8oz so very very tiny. We had our checkup when he was 5 days old and he had lost 6oz in weight so weighs 5lb 2oz but midwife said that this is still in the right range for his birth weight etc. Well he's now feeding 2oz of milk but wants it every 2 hours. He won't take anymore than this and we tried to get him to wait the 3 hours but he just screams for a bottle. Do you think feeding him every 2 hours at 8 days old is OK? He's drinking it well, and burping fine. I just don't want to leave him waiting for his feed if he's hungry. My first born was different he took 2oz from day one every 4 hours but with this baby being so small I don't want to leave him if he's hungry especially with him already losing 6oz in 5 days. He's sleeping well in the night sleeps from around 1am until 6.30am, he has a big feed of 3oz first thing and last thing at night which again if he didn't want it he wouldn't take it surely? It's been 8 years since I've done all this so I feel like a first time mum again lol feel daft asking about feeding, I feel it should just be common sense but I don't want to overfeed or underfeed him.

Cashewnutts Sun 24-Jul-16 10:37:50

Well, taking 2oz every 3 hrs equates to roughly 16oz a day. Now you LO is taking the same every 2 hrs, that's 24oz a day.
Advice suggests that babies should take 1.5-2oz per lb, so your LO seems to be getting more than enough. Say 6lb in weight, that's a recommendation of 12oz.

If your baby seems content and gains at the next check up, I wouldn't worry too much. Is your LO draining each bottle?

Cashewnutts Sun 24-Jul-16 10:38:30

Sorry, sleepy Sunday morning brain. You said ml not oz!!!

Cashewnutts Sun 24-Jul-16 10:39:31

blush and again re read and you did say oz. I'll let myself out.

cheekymummy89 Sun 24-Jul-16 10:58:05

Haha don't worry I had to re read before I put my post on.. so many errors lol. Yeah he's draining his bottles, sometimes it's like he's waited hours for his feed the way he guzzles it. He's not bringing any up either just a few burps and he's happy. As long as he doesn't lose anymore weight I'm happy but the mw always makes out that were doing it wrong, "should be fed every 3hours", was told to feed until he's sick! But then surely he will be hungry again if he's sick from being overfed? I havnt don't that though just fed until he's had enough, usually spits the teeth out his mouth when he's full. We have been making 3oz bottles just incase he does want that little bit more but he's consistently taking the 2oz except like I said first thing and last thing at night.

Cashewnutts Sun 24-Jul-16 11:01:08

smile I've always been told that there should be some left as that shows that they've had enough and if they're draining then to up the feed.

Every baby is different. My DD feeds every 1.5 hours some days! Others she might be more 'normal' at 3 hours. Like I said, as long as weight gain is good and your baby is happy, I wouldn't worry!

lornathewizzard Sun 24-Jul-16 11:10:08

Current NHS advice is to feed on demand. So if he wants feeding every 2hrs then go for it.
Quite frankly your MW sounds like she's talking shite.

cheekymummy89 Sun 24-Jul-16 11:58:04

It was the midwife at the hospital that advised feeding until sick. But my community midwife just asked how much and how often he's feeding so I was honest and she didn't say anything at all about it. She just made a note of it. I'm seeing her again this week for my last appointment and for babies weigh in so will see if she does say anything this time. Seems like you get conflicting advise from different mw.

lornathewizzard Sun 24-Jul-16 14:50:16

The strict schedule advise is outdated and feeding until sick is just ridiculous! I'm sure you're doing just fine smile

melonribena Sun 24-Jul-16 14:56:32

Feed on demand is the best advice and your midwife is crazy. Your ds will tell u how much he wants and when. Ignore anyone who says differently.
I wouldn't want to wait 3 hours between drinks and I'm not 8 days old!
Congratulations by the way, give him what he needs and enjoy your newborn!

Heirhelp Mon 25-Jul-16 11:53:27

You should definitely feed on demand. Remember it is your baby and if something in your head says this is wrong ie not feeding a hungry baby then it is probably wrong.

My HV also said there should always be some milk left in the bottle. My lo is much older at 11 weeks and a huge baby sometimes she has 12oz and other times 4oz. Sometimes your baby will want lots and other times much less.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now