Talk

Advanced search

Feeling like the worse parent ever

(20 Posts)
Hushhush89 Sun 24-Jul-16 01:31:03

So Friday 22nd was the last day of school for my 2 girls. Everything started off fine. My oldest went school in the morning, then I dropped my youngest off to nursery at lunch time, up to that point everything happened liked usual. I was a bit worried about youngest as she wasn't 100% but she wanted to go school to take teachers presents and cards in. I came home after dropping her off and relaxed on the sofa. Next thing I knew I got a phone call at 3:20 asking where I was. I HAD FALLEN ASLEEP. Luckily enough I car share so someone was there to collect girls for me. Since then I can't stop crying as I feel like I'm the WORST parent. When my girls got home , they were both upset and my youngest wouldn't let me go. My oldest is use to someone else picking her up but I've always done pick up since youngest started.

I don't actually know why I'm writing this as I know I'll get bad comments. But I have done...

pieceofpurplesky Sun 24-Jul-16 01:37:52

Don't beat yourself up over it. Shit happens - school rang - the girls won't be scarred from it - next time you sit down set your alarm just in case!

Hushhush89 Sun 24-Jul-16 01:41:35

Luckily enough it was the mum I car share with that called, she had knocked for me, but left as she didn't get an answer and thought I had walked to the school. Nothing like this has ever happened before. I feel terrible and constantly upset.

pieceofpurplesky Sun 24-Jul-16 01:48:33

It happens op flowers

GenghisCalm Sun 24-Jul-16 02:09:57

You are not the worst parent. Mistakes happen be grateful that you were they when they came home. Don't beat yourself up about it. Remember, shit happens, you needed the sleep, your girls were collected and safe and are now home. smile

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 24-Jul-16 02:12:07

Don't be so hard on yourself it was a mistake- your kids are fine op

maz210 Sun 24-Jul-16 02:19:41

It happens - I once forgot that the after school club wasn't running and had to do a lot of grovelling to teachers!

Don't beat yourself up, you must have needed that sleep.

Hushhush89 Sun 24-Jul-16 10:03:06

Thank you all. I think I felt worse as my youngest was a state when she got home. Apparently she was really worried as I'm usually the first parent there at pick up time

Whoami24601 Sun 24-Jul-16 10:21:36

I once forgot to pick up my nephew from nursery at 12. Didn't even realise til my sister rang me at 2 and asked, "have you forgotten something?" blush Luckily he went to a nursery where some children did full days, so they just fed him lunch and kept him grin he's 15 now, and no lasting trauma apparent! It happens, you weren't that late, and they'll be fine!

Hushhush89 Sun 24-Jul-16 10:36:31

They both said they understood why I fell asleep. They had asked me to make some cards with a weeks notice. So most nights I was up very late cross stitching as I needed to make 9 cards and on Thursday night (well friday mornig) I didn't get to bed till 2ish to make sure the last card was finished in time. I just felt awful, I keep telling myself it was their last day and they needed me there

OhHolyFuck Sun 24-Jul-16 10:41:48

It happens, I've done it too

Ds2 was in hospital with a bad asthma attack, I'd done about 30 solid hours awake with him before ex-DP could come and swap, got home and flaked out. Also had school calling wondering where I was for ds1 and had to apologise and explain. You're human, don't beat yourself up

fuckyoucanceryoucuntingknob Sun 24-Jul-16 10:45:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Farfromtheusual Sun 24-Jul-16 10:54:38

I hope this will make you feel better OP...
My DP works in a school. The school day finishes at 15:30. Got to about 15:50 one day and there were 2 children left behind waiting for their parent. So the school ring their dad who says he was at work and would be there soon. Gets to 16:30 and still no sign of dad so the school ring him again.. He says oh I can't come now, can you keep them there tonight and I'll just pick them up after school tomorrow as normal hmm the school went nuts at him down the phone and he turned up at about 17:45 in the end to pick them up completely unapologetic to the staff that had to stay behind waiting for him because he couldn't be bothered to come and get his kids.

So no OP, you are not the worst parent in the world flowers

Farfromtheusual Sun 24-Jul-16 10:56:21

^ Oh and the dad was 100% serious with his suggestion to just get them the next day, it wasn't just a shit dad joke!

MissClarke86 Sun 24-Jul-16 11:07:14

You have nothing to worry about.

I teach and we regularly have parents 20-30 minutes late who rock up thinking its flexitime with no hint at an apology (and usually moaning about something or other school have done.)

Mycraneisfixed Sun 24-Jul-16 11:40:07

I set my phone alarm for 10minutes before I have to leave home to pick up DGS from school just to make sure I'm there on time. (I sometimes find I need a nap after lunchgrin)
Tell DDs you're sorry and suggest you all get over it.

Hushhush89 Sun 24-Jul-16 11:48:23

FarFromTheUsual... That does make me feel better. At least someone was there on time for them. Girls seem perfectly fine about it and oldest is already joking about it. Thank you all for your kind words. I think I'll be sleeping get better tonight

Hushhush89 Sun 24-Jul-16 11:52:44

Mycraneisfixed.... Think in the future I will be setting alarms just in case.

Annoyingly last time I checked the clock it was 2.40, so I must of fallen asleep just before lift arrived

PirateFairy45 Mon 25-Jul-16 20:46:04

You fell asleep! You didn't do it on purpose. You didn't try to upset them!

You must have been extremely tired! Seriously don't beat yourself up about it. flowers

Hushhush89 Wed 27-Jul-16 09:14:17

Thank you pirateFairy45. I was extremely tired , in future I will remember to set alarms just in case

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now