Talk

Advanced search

To wake up baby for feeding?

(8 Posts)
ladymelo Thu 21-Jul-16 11:37:38

My LO is 3.5 weeks old and now formula fed. I'm trying to get into a bit of a routine with feeding but baby is asleep, now would you wake him to feed or let him sleep and for him to tell me when he's ready for feeding?

SineadF Thu 21-Jul-16 11:45:23

Hi, congrats on new baby. I had same dilemma with mine and was told he needed feeding every 2-4 hours. I never woke him to feed as was confident he would let me know. Eventually he settled into a routine himself and woke every 3 hours. :-) go with your gut instinct always as each bub is different.

KatyN Thu 21-Jul-16 12:07:31

I woke mine to feed. I wanted her to sleep longer during the night than the day, no idea if it helped!! K

lifeofdino Thu 21-Jul-16 12:53:10

I did wake to feed, especially in hot weather as I wanted to make sure they stayed hydrated. I did find if I let them sleep all day we'd be up all night. I used to find that once the were moved or had a nappy changed the woke and we ready enough to feed.

BexusSugarush Thu 21-Jul-16 16:30:38

Congratulations! We were put on formula top-ups and told to feed every 3 hours around the clock when bubs was a newborn. This worked for all of a few days, until we got sick of dd screaming everytime we woke her for food. So we just made sure a bottle was always ready for her, and eventually she started waking every 4 hours for a feed and put on weight.

Like pp says every baby is different, but we would only wake dd if she'd been more than 6 hours without food.

Artandco Thu 21-Jul-16 16:38:00

I woke mine to feed in the day. Not overnight. Meant they were fuller from day feeds and then slept better ( I think)

Artandco Thu 21-Jul-16 16:39:03

Oh and mine were breastfed, and I work to feed every 2 hrs during the day. Then only one feed overnight usually

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 21-Jul-16 16:39:51

Im always bemused when I read these threads... Mine never slept long enough for me to need to wake them! Even as tiny newborns they never slept longer than 2 hours at a time with an hour awake in between.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now