Talk

Advanced search

Help asap switching from bf to formula please

(19 Posts)
directyourcall Thu 21-Jul-16 07:22:16

Please no judging replies. I came home from hospital with my first DC last night. While in hospital I did have good bf support they said he was latching on well however he kept slipping off onto the nipple and had to be readjusted constantly and they told me to persevere. This has made me really sore. Last night I was actually scared of putting him on and crying with the pain of constantly having to readjust attachment. So I sent DH out and he bought some ready made formula bottles. I really don't want to carry on bf. I know they could send help round but that would still involve having him on me.

Feeding him with the bottle was so calming today. Midwife doing her check later and I'll ask her for advice but looking for some help on here too. I just don't want them to bully me into trying again. sad

Augustwedding Thu 21-Jul-16 07:26:57

Firstly congratulations on your baby!

I only bf for three days. When I gave up it was a relief!

I was told to just leave my boobs alone. War a good bra with breast pads abd don't give them any stimulation. They will be sore and engorged but will go away in a few days.

We got a tommee tippee perfect prep machine and was great. We used aptamil powder but they are pretty much of a sameness. A Milton tank steriliser is the easiest we found as it's just cold water and a tablet changed ever 24 hours. We also use closer to nature bottles.

Enjoy feeding your baby and other people can now if you want them too!

jamhot Thu 21-Jul-16 07:29:03

I am sorry to hear it has been a painful and distressing time for you. Have you got some Lansinoh cream to help your nipples heal?

Also, has anyone mentioned tongue tie to you? That can cause problems with feeding (plus eating solids and speech, so worth getting it checked regardless of what feeding method you use).

easterlywinds Thu 21-Jul-16 07:32:50

If he's slipping off then he may have tongue tie. If he does, and it gets snipped, then your breast feeding issues could disappear. Just a thought.

2nds Thu 21-Jul-16 07:43:53

I didn't breastfeed either of my babies and I don't regret formula feeding one bit.

pestov Thu 21-Jul-16 07:50:22

If it's just the pain making you want to stop, send him out for some nipple shields. They made such a difference to latch and allowed them to heal. Also agree with lansinoh and tongue tie! Be persistent- I ended up going to 3 support sessions a week!

MangoIsTheNewApple Thu 21-Jul-16 07:52:11

Kellymom always had good, evidence based advice, this is the page on breast comfort when stopping feeding:
kellymom.com/ages/weaning/wean-how/weaning_mom/

pestov Thu 21-Jul-16 07:52:13

And there's nothing wrong with mixed feeding, just talk to your midwife about a schedule to give your boobs a bit of a rest. It doesn't have to be all or nothing!

Archedbrowse Thu 21-Jul-16 07:52:31

congratulations!
As pp said try to leave them alone as much as poss, and the Savoy cabbage leaf in your bra trick is not an old wives tale, it really does provide instant relief!
(Unless your DH comes back with a bloody cauliflower)

MangoIsTheNewApple Thu 21-Jul-16 07:54:21

Oh, and this page on dealing with breast pain might also be helpful:
kellymom.com/hot-topics/sore-nipples-breasts/

29redshoes Thu 21-Jul-16 08:06:04

and there's nothing wrong with mixed feeding

hmm

Just like there's nothing wrong with formula feeding...? The OP hasn't said she wants to mix feed....

OP if you want to carry on take all the support available. If not, just be assertive and say you've made the decision to bottle feed. Your midwife should respect that decision, if she doesn't just be vague, say you'll take a breastfeeding leaflet and think about it. Then throw it in the bin.

Cabbage leaves apparently work to relieve engorgement while your supply dries up (strange but true!) And you can hand express every now and again to take some of the pressure off.

ParisGellar Thu 21-Jul-16 08:08:39

You poor thing, you must be in so much pain. Congratulations on your new baby and there's of course nothing wrong with formula feeding :-) as PP say, wear a tight bra and avoid any nipple stimulation and your milk will dry up soon enough. Take care of yourself.

Grassgreendashhabi Thu 21-Jul-16 08:15:05

New babies are stressful.

If it's hurting and stressing you out don't worry

My baby was allergic to breast milk. Midwives kept on and on that it was best

Doctor said formula is NOT poison

She was formular fed from day 3. Never looked back

I was less stressed. It was better for us.

directyourcall Thu 21-Jul-16 09:06:08

Thank you for the messages of support. No I don't want to try breast feeding again - Iast night felt really stressful anyway as first night out of hospital after a traumatic birth. Both of us were unwell after the birth but I was determined to try and I know I have. I think it's better for us if we go to bottle.

Thanks for the links about dealing with the pain! I'm sending DH out again for cabbage. I've ordered a perfect prep machine and a set of bottles and will be using the premade mix until they arrive tomorrow (yay for prime delivery lol).

29redshoes Thu 21-Jul-16 09:14:22

I got a perfect prep machine recently and it's bloody brilliant! Until it arrives I think the responsibility for making bottles should lie with your DH, you just had a baby after all grin

Congrats on your new DS.

Augustwedding Thu 21-Jul-16 11:49:25

We found the pre mix bottles gave the baby a bad tummy so just keep an eye out. Just go onto powder as soon as you can.

Batteriesallgone Thu 21-Jul-16 11:56:15

Yes to cabbage, but no to the tight bra. Risk of mastitis.

Hot showers on your boobs will cause them to leak - sounds counterintuitive but you want a bit of leaking to prevent engorgement pain.

Breastmilk production works on a supply / demand basis, so just not feeding will reduce your supply until it goes. Beware of any quick fixes and read up on how to prevent mastitis.

Oh and you could consider breast shells to catch any leaks, because it will still be beneficial for baby to get breastmilk rather than it be wasted.

Augustwedding Fri 22-Jul-16 14:48:47

How's it going op?

Cashewnutts Fri 22-Jul-16 14:57:18

Ask midwife/health visitor to check for tongue tie. Even though you're not bf, it will help feeding anyway to have that sorted out, if your LO does have one. My DD had one, which was only discovered after an overnight stay in hospital and struggles latching on. It was 4 weeks before it was cut but her ability to breastfeed successfully never materialised and at 8 weeks we moved to bottles. She is still a bit fussy with feeding at 15 weeks but is getting there!

Completely understand what you're going through, breastfeeding is just not for some people, or babies for that matter! Perfect prep is a life saver!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now