Talk

Advanced search

At what age is it appropriate to leave a child in the car at a petrol station?

(20 Posts)
possum18 Tue 19-Jul-16 22:24:10

I have 14 week twin babies and it's a small inconvenience to lug them both out the car and into the shop when I pay for petrol so I tend to head for the stations with pay at pump, I really don't mind getting them out and carrying their seats in other places though.
Today I was with a friend and I went to fill up and asked if she would wait in the car with the boys whilst I paid. She wanted to get something from the shop and asked why I don't just leave them in the car.
I was a bit shock they are so tiny, it's so hot today and you never know how long you can get held up for.

I'd never leave them in the car at this young age, but it got me thinking - when does it become acceptable? I really don't know the answer to this and I promise I'm not bei?ng judgey. I'm genuinely interested to know your thoughts.

lougle Tue 19-Jul-16 22:29:59

I left them all in the car from day 1. Safer in the car than moving across a busy forecourt, inhaling fumes. I always locked the car and watched them from the window.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 19-Jul-16 22:31:27

I did it from birth. It never occurred to me not to TBH.

Nan0second Tue 19-Jul-16 22:34:31

From birth. Far safer than crossing the road with car seats! Windows a bit open and they'll be fine smile

possum18 Tue 19-Jul-16 22:36:24

Oh no have I been an awfully precious first time mum blush

milkysmum Tue 19-Jul-16 22:40:42

I would have left them from birth ( now age 7 and 4) I do remember getting twitchy if there was a wye and would be desperately wishing the cashier to hurry up in my head but I really would not have carried a car seat/ baby across a garage forecourt- too much faff and potentials much more dangerous

snowgirl1 Tue 19-Jul-16 22:46:51

From birth.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 19-Jul-16 22:50:22

Think back to the time before you had babies. How often did you see RL parents taking their children in to pay for petrol? How many times have you stood in a queue next to a parent with buggies, car seats or toddlers?

Freshprincess Tue 19-Jul-16 22:55:54

I have twins too, and always leave them in the car. So much safer than lugging them around. Plus wrangling two toddlers across the forecourt is no one's idea of fun.
I don't think either of them have ever been in a petrol station snd they're teens.

apatheticfallacy Tue 19-Jul-16 22:58:28

From birth here as well, although I do try to avoid going during rush hour etc if there are likely to be long queues

AWaspOnAWindowInAHeatwave Tue 19-Jul-16 22:58:29

Always left them in the car - wouldn't occur to me not to!

Rowanhart Tue 19-Jul-16 23:00:00

Birth. Don't sweat it as long as always in view.

ijustwannadance Tue 19-Jul-16 23:00:22

Yes from birth. Car is in view and will be in and out much quicker without faffing with car seat.
What do you think will happen to them in the few minutes you are paying? confused

janethegirl2 Tue 19-Jul-16 23:01:27

Lock the car when you are paying, so it's ok at any age.

familyfarm Tue 19-Jul-16 23:01:35

From birth, as long as the car isn't too hot.

milpool Tue 19-Jul-16 23:03:42

I dunno, I'm with you OP, I don't like leaving DD (13mo) in the car.

I do just go to pay at pump stations. If I can't or it's out of order I take her with me and carry her in. Thought obviously in your case it's not that easy.

I have left her once but it just didn't sit right with me. I'm honestly not precious about many things so I don't know why I am over this!

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 19-Jul-16 23:54:42

I wouldn't do it in hot weather like this week, but there are no pay at pump stations around here and I always felt it was safer than taking them out of the car and into the shop. They never batted an eyelid at being left.

HandbagFan Wed 20-Jul-16 09:59:30

I feel exactly the same way as you, OP. I just go to petrol stations with pay at pump.

BertrandRussell Wed 20-Jul-16 10:04:48

I think it's more when is it appropriate to stop. There's a period between them being able to undo their straps and before they get any sense when I wouldn't. But from birth to strap undoing age is fine.

scrumptiouscrumpets Fri 22-Jul-16 20:13:24

I always leave DS in the car, but I would only do it in this heat if the car is in the shade.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now