Talk

Advanced search

Any tips at keeping 5 week old cool in this heat?

(5 Posts)
sprockermummy Tue 19-Jul-16 13:58:14

Normally I love the heat but now with having a 5 week old I'm worrying on how to keep her cool.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what to do as it is over 31 degrees outside and the house temperature is pretty similar.

I already have all the curtains closed with windows open and she is just in a nappy.

BexusSugarush Tue 19-Jul-16 15:02:07

Offer more milk to keep them hydrated. Also consider a short soak in a lukewarm bath for baby?

sprockermummy Tue 19-Jul-16 17:18:25

Hubby just doing cool bath while I'm sat here expressing so can offer some cooler milk from fridge. Will try anything lol

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 19-Jul-16 17:23:35

Fan on in bedroom.

ODog Tue 19-Jul-16 21:44:40

It's tough but breastfed babies are designed to regulate their milk intake and your milk adjusts to give them more refreshing/watery milk in hot weather. Feed on demand, keep babe in the shade with just minimal clothing, lots of nappy off time (Nappies are boiling), cool baths, keep yourself rested and well hydrated. No need to express unless you want to. Your milk is perfect in the heat just as it is. Mother Nature knew what she was doing when it came to breast milk whatever climate you are in. I get it though. I had a new baby in a heatwave 2 years ago and this year have a 2yo and a 9 week old. I thank god for bf in this weather though even if it is sticky, sweaty and a bit gross to do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now