Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Three year old has started biting

(3 Posts)
dream75 Mon 18-Jul-16 21:04:50

Three year old DD has bit two children in the last week at nursery. We are currently living with my parents while work is done on our new house. DD has all her toys with her and have tried to keep her routine the same. Her behaviour has changed and we are having lots of tantrums. Any advise would be appreciated.

LexieSinclair Mon 18-Jul-16 21:11:47

I think this is quite normal for three year olds. If you let her know in no uncertain terms that it's unacceptable she'll hopefully stop it pretty quickly. Mine did

ElodieS Tue 19-Jul-16 12:04:30

Both my girls went through a biting phase soon after they turned three and I was utterly mortified. They mostly bit each other, but did bite other kids at nursery a couple of times and I had no idea where they got the idea from. The nursery obviously had short shrift with it though, as did I; it was probably some of angriest I've ever been with them. The thing that really helped though was figuring out (with them) alternative, acceptable ways to express their frustration. We talked about counting to 10, used snap bands and even shouting at the person you're annoyed with an it slowly dissipated.

I think it comes from being unable to adequately articulate frustration and needing a physical release but we did go through a pretty hilarious phase where DT1 was managing not to bite her sister but instead often shouted "ARGH! BITE YOU!" at her...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now