Talk

Advanced search

Would you show your child this video

(11 Posts)
Bedsheets4knickers Thu 07-Jul-16 21:55:43

I don't know if anyone has seen it yet but their is a video on Facebook of an attempted child snatch in California .. From what I gather . It happened this week . Luckily the mother reacted very quickly and others helped . The abductor was caught . The child seems very upset but unharmed ..
My question is . A lot of people have shown it to their own children .. I'm on the fence wether it's appropriate ?? I have a 5 year old and 3 year old . They wonder regularly..
Just wanted to know peoples thoughts ??
Tia x

HundredYearsInTime Thu 07-Jul-16 22:37:06

I wouldn't. Haven't seen it but guess it can be scary...?

ANiceSliceOfCake Fri 08-Jul-16 14:52:01

No I wouldn't personally, I think it's right to teach stranger danger and to not wander off etc, but that video is quite frightening and there was little that the mother or the child could do to prevent it. It was a quick snatch.

There's another one somewhere on YouTube, I'll try and find it, that's much better , it demonstrates how a stranger talks to a child and leads them away, it's that I'd work on personally.

ANiceSliceOfCake Fri 08-Jul-16 14:55:19

I'll try and link

m.youtube.com/watch?v=gGIDHrYKJ2s&autoplay=1

GlitteryFluff Fri 08-Jul-16 14:59:14

That snatch is so quick. It's scary. DS is only 1 so haven't yet had a 3yo/5yo so don't know if I'd show them.

Bedsheets4knickers Fri 08-Jul-16 19:30:57

It's so very scary and if any further away from the mum it may have been a different story . I'm still in the fence .. Thanks for the link. I've just watched it .. Such a shame we even have to talk about such things x

lljkk Sat 09-Jul-16 14:18:17

That's odd. 2-3/4 of my kids at those age would definitely be suspicious. At very least they would glance at me for approval before following an adult. And I don't tell them not to talk to strangers. I bet that's been edited to leave out the kids who rejected the friendliness.

FaFoutis Sat 09-Jul-16 14:25:05

That would not happen. Adults have instincts and parents would watch a stranger talking to their child.

lljkk Sat 09-Jul-16 18:32:49

Let's face it, if the parent on bench were an MNer, this is how things would pan out:

"Hi there I'm <whatever name> and I'm conducting a social experiment."
-OMG, is that a DOG you brought into the playground with you? Did you MEAN to be rude?
"Oh yes, this is my dog <cutiepie name>"
Did you not read the sign, you pillock? It says NO DOGS.
"Oh right, I didn't realise..."
Mummy mummy, is that a doggie?
Now now dear, don't worry...
But mummy what about my asthma phobia anxiety!! A doggie shouldn't be here. It will leave poo everywhere and start killing people and give everyone allergic reactions. ... Mummy mummy... the doggie is still 30 metres from me but I can't breathe, mummy mummy!!
Get your fucking dog out of here now ARSEHOLE!

Buggers Sat 09-Jul-16 21:34:51

Scary how easy that was. I'd show a child 5yrs+ personally as children being told not to talk to strangers in their mind would be not to approach anyone, however a friendly person with a dog approaching them is very hard for them to see as a threat.

Buggers Sat 09-Jul-16 21:38:12

Also I have quite a shy 4yr old and would have never worried about her wandering off with anyone but if someone approached her like that with a dog i wouldn't be too sure what she would do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now