Baby walker??

(11 Posts)
mrsmoomoopoopoo Thu 07-Jul-16 14:14:33

8 month old dd currently has a jumperoo which she loves. A few people have recently told me to get her a baby walker as it will help with her walking.
Should I get her one or is the jumperoo sufficient?

Thanks

BexusSugarush Thu 07-Jul-16 15:53:09

I've always been told that baby walkers help them develop the wrong muscles for walking, as they're working on pushing something forwards, so concentrate more power into that movement, rather than balancing. I personally won't be using one, but there will also be people who swear by them.

Daytona79 Thu 07-Jul-16 16:02:11

Baby walkers are meant to be detrimental to babies learning to walk

Encouraging them to walk on toes etc.

I personally wouldn't use them

Lules Thu 07-Jul-16 16:03:30

If you think she'd like it then get one. I wouldn't bother if it's just to get her to walk. She may find other things to get mobile anyway - mine pushes around a light coffee table like a little Zimmer frame

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 07-Jul-16 16:06:43

Mine used an ikea high chair like a Zimmer frame!
My 12 month old has just learned to walk but still can't propel herself in a walker. Like a PP says, it's different muscles/balance used. I don't think a jumperoo does anything to help them walk either.
I've never done anything to help either of mine walk, they just walked when they were ready. Both at 12 months.

purplefizz26 Thu 07-Jul-16 16:08:40

I didn't see the point in a sit down baby walker, use too much space too.

We got a little frame with music and slidy things and buttons that she could actually push and walk with.

polkadotdelight Thu 07-Jul-16 16:10:52

DS was never that interested in using it to walk but loved playing with the buttons, lights etc. Alternating between that, jumperoo and highchair toys allowed me to cook dinner!

minipie Thu 07-Jul-16 17:37:37

Baby walkers (the sit in kind) don't help with learning to walk

They do help if you have the kind of baby who is desperate to walk and whinges constantly unless you are "walking" them though grin

MrsPatrickDempsey Thu 07-Jul-16 18:20:59

Sit in baby walkers are dangerous as they can topple and delay walking because as others have said encourage toe walking.

mrsmoomoopoopoo Thu 07-Jul-16 18:36:01

Thanks everyone!
I thought walkers were no good for technique so I'll stick with the jumperoo and she'll walk when she's ready smile

MolesBreathless Thu 07-Jul-16 20:17:21

They're a total deathtrap - responsible for many, many burns/scalds/amputations and deaths sad

They're actually banned on safety grounds in Canada and the NHS recommends we don't use them as they're so dangerous.

I'm constantly surprised by their popularity tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now