Making formula/sterilising while away from home

(16 Posts)
LittleNettle Mon 04-Jul-16 11:07:27

Hello,
My little one is two monthe old and in a few weeks we will be away from home for a few days - how do I go about making formula and sterilising bottles.
Very anxious and nervous of not doing it properly and making my baby poorly!
Thanks

splendide Mon 04-Jul-16 11:09:05

Easiest way I think is ready made formula and cold water sterilisation. So you just need some sterilising tablets assuming that where you are staying you can have access to a big bowl to put the sterilising solution in? If not you also need a big tub.

splendide Mon 04-Jul-16 11:11:01

www.boots.com/en/Boots-Sterilising-Tablets-64-Pack_10089/

Some of these and you'll be fine or Milton! I used them at home as well, really easy.

icklekid Mon 04-Jul-16 11:15:49

Yes to ready made formula if no access to kettle. Is your steriliser microwave one? Either milton tablets or an electric steraliser? Are you staying in a hotel?

Boogers Mon 04-Jul-16 11:19:19

Where are you going? Facilities are very different if you're in a house/caravan with a microwave, kettle and sink to if you're in a hotel room or if you're camping in the middle of nowhere. What facilities will you have access to?

TellMeDani Mon 04-Jul-16 11:21:59

I used to buy these and take individual bottles of ready made formula, I would also just pack the carton of powder and make up as we needed from the kettle in the hotel room as well, I found that too many ready made formula feeds without a break made for rather explosive poos.

36mum Mon 04-Jul-16 11:24:37

Microwave steam steriliser and cartons/bottles of ready made formula.

LittleNettle Mon 04-Jul-16 12:26:46

We are staying in a hotel room which will have a kettle but no microwave. So if I can sterilise bottles safely I can just take tubs of powder!
Wit sterilising tablets do you leave the bottles etc. in the solution and remove as you use, or take them out and they are fine for 24hrs?
Sorry for silly questions - first time mum, no friends with babies and first time away!!

welshweasel Mon 04-Jul-16 12:31:35

I use the sterilising bags someone linked to up thread. They are fab as they just hang on the back of a door and last 24 hours. Much easier than using a bowl and cheap enough for occasional use. I tend to use ready made formula for during the day and take powder and make it up from the kettle when in the hotel room. Remember to take washing up liquid, I ended up washing bottles with shower gel!

welshweasel Mon 04-Jul-16 12:32:39

Oh and the sterilising bags, you just leave the bottles in there until you're ready to use them (or take them out and assemble them if you prefer but I find it easier to leave them in so they don't clutter up the room)

randomsabreuse Mon 04-Jul-16 12:37:45

I took a plug in steriliser when we had a couple of hotel stays. It was fab and I now use it in preference to the microwave one I had first.

LittleNettle Mon 04-Jul-16 15:37:09

I picked up the sterilising bags! They seemed the easiest and least space consuming idea!
Do you use cold water with them? And how many bottles did you put in each bag?
Thank you all very much for advice! Feeling much less anxious now!!

welshweasel Mon 04-Jul-16 15:39:38

Yes you wash the bottles in hot soapy water as usual then put cold water in the bag and put the bottles (and dummies etc if you use), I tend to take 3 bottles away so I have enough for being out all day and you can definitely fit them in.

LittleNettle Mon 04-Jul-16 15:42:49

Okay! I will do that! Thank you so much for your help welshweasel!
xx

welshweasel Mon 04-Jul-16 15:46:51

No problem. Hope you have a wonderful time. We went away when DS was the same age and had a fabulous weekend but I stressed about all the same things!

Flisspaps Mon 04-Jul-16 16:04:06

If the bottles and teats are washed thoroughly in very hot soapy water, you could then scald the clean bottles with fresh boiling water if you're really pushed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now