Talk

Advanced search

When did your DCs learn to scoot?

(14 Posts)
jellycat1 Sun 03-Jul-16 09:58:57

DS1 is nearly 2 and big for his age although I don't know if that translates into any better coordination! He's pretty strong though. Anyway, we have a scooter for him and I was wondering how we sort of get him started? Or is it a little early? Thanks all.

Paniniswapx3 Sun 03-Jul-16 10:04:24

Mine were about 2 - they had the 3-wheel Micro Scooters & loved them.

KatyN Sun 03-Jul-16 10:05:05

Mine got one for his 2nd bday, he scooted within about 30 seconds of getting one. He is quite little for his age. It was amazing!!!

MiaowTheCat Sun 03-Jul-16 11:51:34

DD1 wasn't the best coordinated in the world - just about cracked scooting forwards when she was three but it's taken her till she was 4 to crack actually steering the bugger - and once that clicked into place she's gone from her mini micro to a two wheel one in a couple of months (which I'm bloody pissed about since the micro one is much nicer)!

DD2 cracked her mini micro aged a very young three, could probably have cracked it earlier if her sister had let her had a turn, but still can't cope with non-tilt-to-steer ones.

You can get seated versions as well which DD2 used a bit before we took the seat off...
www.toysrus.co.uk/toys/y-glider-3-in-1-scooter-pink/0105222 (it was cheaper when we got ours - they had it on special) or there's a seat for the mini micros as well.

I wish we'd got the mini micros earlier though - they made a real difference and don't weigh at tonne when you're carrying them back across the park!

Neither of mine could cope with the cheapo character ones with two wheels at the back though - they kept catching the back wheel with their pushing off foot!

BirdsAndBlips Sun 03-Jul-16 16:16:42

Mine is 18mo and has figured it out within a week (mini micro handle on lowest position) - I'm surprised as he's otherwise not interested in his wheely bug. Give it a try!

RatOnnaStick Sun 03-Jul-16 16:22:39

DS1 was about 2.5 and took to it straight away. DS2 has always preferred a bike. Now at 3.5 he is almost uncatchable on his balance bike but very slow and wobbly on a scooter.

threadender Sun 03-Jul-16 16:41:28

DS is 3. He can scoot but much prefers his balance bike (which he's dangerously fast on)
In contrast, DN is 2 and fab at scooting. He doesn't really like his balance bike but can go it ok.

Yika Sun 03-Jul-16 16:43:52

I got my very active DD a scooter at 2.3 but she didn't get it until 3.

jellycat1 Sun 03-Jul-16 17:21:49

Oh good. We'll keep trying it gradually. Need to get him to wear the helmet though or no scooter. He hates anything on his head. See you in the park!

RatOnnaStick Sun 03-Jul-16 18:12:29

Just don't be surprised if for a while he just holds the handlebars and walks along one foot either side of the footboard. Also him standing on it and you pulling him along is common tool. It can take a while to become brave enough to have a go themselves. Its all good.

MewlingQuim Sun 03-Jul-16 18:24:43

DD was off on her mini micro from about 18 months. I got quite fit chasing after her.

It took a long time for her to learn to use the brake. Mostly I held the back of her jacket on downhills, then she would just put her foot down. She wore out a lot of shoes.

Scooters are great for that 2-3 age when the child is refusing to go in the pushchair but then get tired out quickly and want carried. Take a scooter instead and they will scoot until they're tired and then you can put a rope on the handlebars and tow them grin

Juanbablo Mon 04-Jul-16 20:31:13

Ds1 was about 2.5 and he used a 2 wheeler straight away.

Dd was 3 on a mini micro.

Ds2 has been able to use a mini micro from about 14 months but is only getting better at steering now at 2.

lucy101101 Mon 04-Jul-16 20:35:53

My DS wasn't interested in his scooter for ages (it was hanging around from his 1st birthday) and then rode it a bit between 3 and 4 before giving up. My DD was riding hers on her first birthday... and fast.... but she seems to have unusually good balance which I think helped.

lucy101101 Mon 04-Jul-16 20:36:28

That was on a mini micro, not the baby one, she had to reach up for the handlebars but it didn't seem to bother her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now