What do you do in a day with your 11month old baby?

(20 Posts)
Nottalotta Sat 02-Jul-16 10:18:53

Feel I'm missing something! Just wondering what others days look like. Today we were up at 4.30. Earlier than usual. Breakfast at 6. Played in playpen while I washed up etc. Played upstairs while I hoovered. Went out and he napped while I dealt with animals. Home, snack. That's it. Play, walking about. Lunch. Nap. Play......etc.

ToDuk Sat 02-Jul-16 10:21:33

That's pretty much it isn't it? Not a lot else you can do. When you went out was it somewhere sociable? I used to go out several mornings to a baby group or singing time or something to have a change of scene.

CraftyPenguin Sat 02-Jul-16 10:25:11

Pretty much the same here, or we'll go and see family, food shop, baby group/soft play

Nottalotta Sat 02-Jul-16 10:28:58

No, I deal with my animals while he naps in the pram. There's not a lot in the way of baby groups here, what there is, is always when he's about to fall asleep.

Sierra259 Sat 02-Jul-16 10:34:15

Sounds about right. We did a couple of baby groups a week, like the library rhyme times. Or just a trip to the library to get new books. Occasionally soft play. Meeting with friends for lunch/coffee.

OutsiderInTheGarden Sat 02-Jul-16 10:36:04

OP I have a one year old, and I sometimes find myself wondering whether I am missing something, or whether tgere's something I should be doing. Your day sounds a lot like mine. We very rarely go to groups, there aren't many groups here either, and most are church groups (which I don't want to go to) or they clash with his naps. He is a very good napper and sleeper and I think I have sacrificed doing more and getting out in order to preserve his sleep. I know mums who go out (groups, beach, activities, friend's houses) almost every day, and I wonder how that doesn't completely mess up routines. Maybe I'm missing something.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sat 02-Jul-16 10:41:39

With DC2 Our day looks like this

7am Breakfast - free play with toy box and sister while I tidy up
9am Nap time - Has an hours nap either in the cot or in the pram
10am Go to a toddler group/music class/rhyme time/gym session or we run errands and pop to the playground
12 Lunch time
1-3 Naptime
3 Walk into town and go to the playground/local play cafe.
5.20 Get home from town and make dinner - dc potter and play while I make it
6 Stories and songs on the sofa before bath time.

Activities that we do at home - sensory play - shaving foam/jelly/sand/ice cubes, painting, playing in the paddling pool - sometimes we bring it inside to the kitchen, treasure basket, opening the odds and ends cupboard in the kitchen and "exploring"

Places we go - the library, swimming, local cafe, walk in the woodland nearby, local museums, playground, softplay, zoo, farm, local field to watch the tractors, local surestart centre,

My summer plans are - painting, going swimming, floating boats on the local pond, sensory play, going on a bike ride, gym session, kite flying, library, music session, going out for coffee and cake, paddling pool, different playgrounds in town, bus ride.

People will say it's easier when there's an older sibling I have a 2.6 year old to entertain too - but I used to do all this with her when t was just her at that age. She used to love spending time with friends with older children too,

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sat 02-Jul-16 10:45:37

Outsider in the garden.

I'm one of those people who are out every day - we have a morning activity an usually do something in the afternoon after naps. Sometimes I do nap in the cot and then we go to our morning activities and sometimes I will put dc in the pram and will walk to town and he will grab 40 winks on the way. As long as he has a minimum of 1hr30 in the afternoon he's happy although he prefers 2.5. He will sleep in his cot or in the pram sometimes we do naps at aa friends house if we've been over for lunch etc.

OutsiderInTheGarden Sat 02-Jul-16 11:09:33

Iguess wow you've got more energy than I have! How old is your DC2? My DS will not sleep in his buggy, and he doesn't sleep well in a car, so I feel a but guilty if I'm away from hom at nap times when he goes into his cot. He naps for 1 to 1.5 hours in the morning, and 2 hours in the afternoon. With naps, meals, snacks and the usual domestic chores I find it hard to get out the door for anything besides the food shop, which I'm sure is not thrilling for him. DS2 is arriving late October so I'll basically be a hermit I think. sad

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sat 02-Jul-16 12:30:12

How old is your do outsider. My 2 are 2.6 and 11 months.

I have always taken dc1 out for activities as the above since she was 6 months (I'm the nanny) and when Dc2 arrived he joined the trips out too. In fact with a 4 hour feeding schedule it was easy enough to slot him into coming group in the morning and the playground trip / playdates in the afternoons. Dc1 only has 2 hours after lunch and Dc2 is dropping to a 2 hour lunch time at the moment but probably won't be down to that until august when he's just over 1. I work long 12 hour days so being out the house is a necessity

BotBotticelli Sat 02-Jul-16 14:31:08

I got to work 4 days per week and DS2 (11mo) is in a lovely nursery where lots d lovely qualified childcare workers worry about this!!

ODog Sat 02-Jul-16 22:14:35

At 11mo we did similar stuff to what I do now with him (DS is just 2).

Something along the lines of:

Wake up/playing/breakfast/get ready
Out to a toddler group/rhyme time/park/ducks/woods/beach etc.
Home and lunch or lunch with friends either out or at their house.
Playing at home/Potter about the house/shopping/errands/housework
Dinner and bed

Naps were/are at home when convenient or in car/buggy/sling. I have never been one to enforce naps at a certain time in the cot and am just flexible to the day/DC's temperament that day.

I also have a newborn that just gets carted about with us and so far it seems to be working fine.

OutsiderInTheGarden Sun 03-Jul-16 08:54:37

Iguess my DS just turned 1. No sign of dropping from 2 naps to 1 either. He is very unhappy if he skips a nap, but if we're out and about in the buggy or at a friends house he just will not sleep. He is a happy 'easy' child, but only so long as he gets his full quota of sleep just like his mum then. So I feel like we're tied to the house. Does anyone else have this issue?

OP I hope you had a later start than 4:30 this morning! smile

PurpleCrazyHorse Sun 03-Jul-16 09:03:25

I went back to work when I had DD, so I didn't feel guilty about this and let the CM deal with it grin

Now I'm a SAHM to a 1yo DS and he mostly free plays at home, eats, naps, sits in the buggy/high chair while I sort the kitchen & cook dinner. We do the walk to/from school every day, sometimes via the park. Trips to Tesco, monthly trip to the library with DD.

No baby groups as I find them quite hard and can't afford paid activities.

I try to keep on topic the house and DD's school stuff too.

OutsiderInTheGarden Sun 03-Jul-16 09:18:57

I can't afford the paid activities either! Now the mat pay has dried up and I'm officially an 'unemployed' SAHM. Even the free activities add up with petrol, parking, etc. Nothing is within walking distance for us, there aren't free museums etc like we would have in a city. We do have loads of lovely beaches, but even then parking is stupidly expensive. Oh, why wasn't I born independently wealthy? I would have been so good at it. grin

Caterina99 Sun 03-Jul-16 18:14:21

My DS just turned one. All naps at home in cot during the week. Weekends we are a bit more flexible, so that we can actually leave the house, but he won't nap well unless he's in his cot. Although it's restrictive, I find it helps to structure my day a lot. That, and meals. There's barely an hour when he's not eating or sleeping.

We go out every day so that I don't go crazy. Meet friends, park, library, pool, shops, errands etc. I go to the gym and he goes to the crèche. Having friends with babies on a similar routine also really helps.

Houseconfusion Sun 03-Jul-16 18:32:21

Here's my day with 8 month old -

5 am wake up feed

7 am breakfast

7-30-9: play and book reading time in floor crawling fun with dog. We read three books each day smile

9-10 he naps while I prepare for work and preoare his stuff for childminders and drop off at 10.

There he mingles with 3 other kids between 2-5 and learns new stuff all the time, goes to groups, the park and playground, pre school trips, vegetable patch in summer, all sorts.

6. Pm - DH picks up and brings home where I've just finished working if working from home or on drive back on M1 if working on site.

6:30 Family dinner. More book reading on the floor and more crawling and DVD watching type of stuff.

7:15: bath and bedtime with rhymes and feed.

Houseconfusion Sun 03-Jul-16 18:34:06

Oh and weekend are always out in the woods, exploring, and our garden is his sensory haven where we take breakfast out usually smile he loves touching the flowers and getting his feet tickled by the grass.

FuzzyOwl Sun 03-Jul-16 18:40:25

Playgroups, going out for walks and trips round the supermarket (even when not buying anything, as the bright lights and colours fascinate my DD). We also go to the rhyme time at the local libraries, meet up with friends and rotate all of the toys in the playpen.

OutsiderInTheGarden Sun 03-Jul-16 19:19:45

Caterina I'm glad it's not only my DC who is like this!

Although there's no park or groups in walking distance we are fortunate to live on a smallholding. So he has the garden, fields, chickens, horses, greenhouse etc to explore every day. His favourite activity at the moment is pulling all the green tomatoes off my plants! I won't have any to ripen at this rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now