6 weeks old temperature??

(5 Posts)
celeryeater Wed 29-Jun-16 03:22:44

Hi, my 6 week old daughter has a temperature of about 37.6-37.8 is that bad? Does it count as a fever? Panicking a bit because the thermometer seems to give a different reading each time. It's one of those digital ones you stick in their ear.

amarmai Wed 29-Jun-16 04:01:52

Take no chances with a newborn. If there is an all night pharmacy ,you can call and speak to the pharmacist re temp etc. That is what I did last week. She was lovely and got me to fill my antibiotic prescription and take 2 right there in the store.

amarmai Wed 29-Jun-16 04:03:26

Call the hospital or an all night pharmacy and get advice .

Whosthemummy16 Wed 29-Jun-16 04:28:23

I would phone 111 asap for a baby that little with a temperature.
Anything about 37.5 is classed as a high temperature, the in ear thermometers aren't very reliable for tiny ears as they don't fit well enough into the ear canal.

ODog Thu 30-Jun-16 21:41:18

My DD was admitted to hospital at a week old wit a temperature of over 38. They told me that anything above 37.5 is a fever but they would only really worry about a temperature under 38 if they were displaying other signs of infection like rapid breathing, sleepy, not feeding, floppy.

Having said that u would still get her checked as they really take no handed with newborns. We were in for 2 nights, DD pumped full of antibiotics through an IV and had all manner of tests including the dreaded lumbar puncture. Turns out it was a little bit of nothing or a little viral infection but I was shocked at how seriously they take illness in small babies. Which is the right thing to do but scary from a parent POV.

They also said those digital ear thins are crap and actually a bit dangerous as sometimes they show lower than what the temp is and to get a digital under arm one for a fiver at the pharmacy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now