Talk

Advanced search

How to teach child to read

(7 Posts)
Newfamily2014 Thu 23-Jun-16 20:48:04

My daughter is learning her alphabet at a rapid rate and loves us reading books to her.
I'm thinking to start teaching her to read but now sure how to do that, any advice please..

MooPointCowsOpinion Thu 23-Jun-16 20:49:29

Watch Alphablocks to really get the phonics sounds, they're different to when you were a kid.

Acopyofacopy Thu 23-Jun-16 20:53:32

There is amazing free service that will do this for you! It's called school.

BoysRule Thu 23-Jun-16 21:05:13

If she's enjoying it and asking about reading then you should go with it.

I have magnetic letters on my fridge - but started with s,a,t,p,i,n only and DCs name. Whenever DC asked I would say the sound of the letter. Then we started to put them together to read words e.g sat, pin, tin etc. Once these are mastered move on. At the same time you can have some common words displayed - e.g the, and, me, etc.

Some children are interested and some not. It seems a shame to ignore it if they are.

Runningbutnotscared Thu 23-Jun-16 22:52:16

great minds acopyofacopy
I was going to say school too

this debate comes up often on MN, general consensus seems to be that if you don't teach your lo right you will be storing up big problems for her once she starts school. She will be bored when the rest of the class are coving the basics and she wont be able to manipulate her understanding of reading correctly to allow her to advance.
Most people would recommend concentrating on playing while your dd is small?

Fairuza Thu 23-Jun-16 22:54:06

Maybe google Letters and Sounds (government reading programme) and look at phase 1 particularly.

ExAstris Sat 25-Jun-16 06:31:03

I second Alphablocks. My DS learned so easily from that, both the episodes and the game. If you're going to do it, do it correctly, as it is hard for schools to undo incorrect teaching (assuming she's going to school). My DS is home educated, and his childminder was determined to involve herself in his learning against my, "Oh don't worry, I'll do the education, he's just here to play!" urgings, and I have had to unteach where she's taught him the wrong sounds. angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now