baby flat head

(4 Posts)
jessica12345 Thu 23-Jun-16 18:06:06

My little girl has had her 8 week jabs today, the health visitor mentioned that one side of her head was slightly flat, I had noticed when she said that as I'm always trying to get her to lay on the other side of her head, I didn't realise her head was a bit flat because of this!

So I'm wondering if there are any ways I can get her to not lay on that specific side? I'm not to worried about in the day as I can hold her off her head, and when she naps I've been placing her to sleep on her other side, I'm just wondering if there is a way I can position her when she sleeps at night?

Thankyou hope that makes sense! smile

Newtobecomingamum Fri 24-Jun-16 20:38:23

Hi, def worth investing in one if these www.sleepcurve.com
mattresses if you can afford too. Have her in a sling as much as possible and out of the car seat as much as possible. Also, try to reduce time in bouncers etc so again she is not laying in her head (I also purchased a babymoov love best pillow £15) that when my DD was in bouncer at least she was using this and in laydown activity mats I would always use the pillow under her head. HOWEVER.. Never leave her unattended with the pillow as once my DD moved and it flipped on her face. That's why I purchased the sleepcurve mattress as its built in the mattress a curve so no chance of any dangers etc. As soon as she can do tummy time, get her doing it and buy any aids to help support tummy time. You can get this cheap on local FB selling sites.
My poor DD may need to wear a helmet for 6m for 23h a day have a follow up appointment soon to see if things have improved, so keep sticking to repositioning and hopefully it will correct its self. At least you've caught it early x

Newtobecomingamum Fri 24-Jun-16 20:39:23

Stupid auto txt has changed on to in!!

Kiwi32 Fri 24-Jun-16 20:45:22

Hi there, some good suggestions already. Also sometimes without realising it we ourselves favour one side when we're holding, feeding etc. This can cause tension to build up on one side of the neck so the baby favours turning head the other way. Try to be mindful of this if you're not already. If you are able to turn the cot every few nights or place baby at the opposite end this may help too-they may be turning towards you or other light/stimulus. Finally a chiropractor or cranial osteopath would be able to help, the sooner you are able to get treatment the better the results will be. At 8 weeks old there is plenty chance for this to correct itself so great that you've picked up on it now. Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now