Talk

Advanced search

24 weeks or 6 calendar months?

(8 Posts)
Summerdays2014 Sun 19-Jun-16 14:50:21

Hi all,

This might be a silly question but... Did you wean at 24 weeks or 6 calendar months? My son will be 24 weeks on Saturday and can sit unaided, grab things from the table and put them in his mouth, watches us eat and has been 'practicing' sitting in his high chair. He seems ready but I'm not sure if I should wait until he is 6 calendar months? I'm a first time mum and a bit nervous about weaning. I like to do things 'by the book' (although I'm trying to remember that all babies are different!)

Thank you all in advance.

mrsmugoo Sun 19-Jun-16 15:09:09

6 calendar months is half a year I.e 26 weeks. Not that it matters, your baby's tummy doesn't under go a massive change on the stroke of midnight when they turn 6 months. If they're ready at 24 weeks then go for it.

My advice though would be not to be too keen to start early - weaning is a long , messy, (sometimes) stressful process and you'll soon long for the simplicity of just milk ;)

Avebury Sun 19-Jun-16 15:10:20

Honestly - relax. Sounds to me like he is ready if he is sitting up, has full head control and is interested in food. Give it a go! Annabel Karmel's book is great for ideas even if you prefer to blw rather taken to the purée route.
Most people I know did a combination of both. Make sure you are confident you know what to do if there is a choking incident and prepare for some mess and far less fragrant nappies!

TiredOfSleep Tue 21-Jun-16 18:19:30

Chuck some bits of dinner in his highchair, if he can pick them up and put them in his mouth by himself then he's ready. DD started weaning at just over 5 months because she nicked a piece of carrot from my Sunday roast!

WordGetsAround Tue 21-Jun-16 18:20:59

I did it at 16 weeks with my first so just go with whatever your DS is up for.

ShowOfHands Tue 21-Jun-16 18:25:55

Recommendation is 26 weeks ish. So if they're sitting up, can pick up food, put it in their mouth, chew and swallow, I'd be led by that. If you're not sure, there's no harm in waiting a few more days.

Summerdays2014 Tue 21-Jun-16 20:12:59

Thank you all for your advice. I am going to give it a go at the weekend. I'd like to do BLW but husband is not keen, so carrot purée it is!

Avebury Tue 21-Jun-16 22:59:09

If the spoon doesn't go down well at first just use your finger for him to suck it off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now