Mentally ill mother and child contact

(3 Posts)
Antonia87 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:58:18

Hi, I was wondering if you would give me your perspectives on this situation. I am in the early stages of pregnancy but I am considering the kind of contact I will allow my mother to have with DC when its born. Its very difficult as my mother suffers from Bipolar 1 disorder . She will well for periods of up to eighteen months and then suffers psychotic episodes which last for six months at a time. This has been going on since I was a child. She is lovely when she is well but really abusive when she is not. She has also made false allegations in the past when she has been sick. These include accusing my father of sexually abusing his niece and of raping her. These accusations were completely false as my father was actually out of the country when she made the rape allegation and he had never even been alone with his niece. She has apologised profusely for this but as a result I wont give her my address. Now I am concerned that if we let her have contact with her GC she might make false allegations against my husband which would destroy us. However, when she is well we are very close so its a really dilemma and she is great with kids when she is well. I would appreciate your thoughts on how we could safeguard our child but possibly allow contact? Thank you

MrsPickwick Mon 13-Jun-16 15:00:46

It sounds like a really tough situation, and I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I have a difficult mother but nothing like on your scale, so I have no advice to offer. I just wanted to suggest that your thread be moved to Relationships, as there's a lot more traffic and more people who might be able to help. Good luck flowers

Antonia87 Mon 13-Jun-16 18:40:03

Thanks MrsPickwick

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now