Talk

Advanced search

what baby stuff would you buy second hand and what would you definitely not?

(46 Posts)
AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:46:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PaintedDrivesAndPolishedGrass Sun 12-Jun-16 22:48:55

Id get as much as possible second hand tbh.

cosmicglittergirl Sun 12-Jun-16 22:50:49

Some second hand clothes on eBay are a rip off by the time you've paid postage and package, other than that I think second hand is fine for a lot of things. Not mattresses though of course.

WLmum Sun 12-Jun-16 22:52:09

Anything that can be washed or sterilised absolutely. I put big stuff like high chairs in the bath and doused liberally with Milton. The only things I wouldn't have would be where safety could be an issue e.g car seats. Nct sales are great for seeing what you get and are usually bargains, but they are not for the faint hearted.

Octonought Sun 12-Jun-16 22:52:12

I wouldn't buy second hand mattresses or car seats. Most other stuff is fine but good to see things before you buy. Travel systems and carrycots definately second hand, can cost a fortune and you probably won't use for as long as you think - most people end of with an easily foldable buggy within the first year. Moses basket/crib will be used for a few months at most - but buy a new mattress to go in it.

Iamnotloobrushphobic Sun 12-Jun-16 22:52:24

I wouldn't buy a Mattress or a car seat second hand.

ICJump Sun 12-Jun-16 22:52:24

Pretty much everything is fine from ebay. But... I would only buy brand new in mattress, car seat and shoes. I also wouldn't buy a baby carrier from ebay as many of the new ones are fakes.

AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:52:52

ftmsoon Sun 12-Jun-16 22:53:35

Things we bought new were items we couldn't get second hand. This included a nursing chair, chest of drawers and a breast pump.
You need to balance the risk of buying second hand CD the benefit of the cost saving, eg for car seat, travel system etc.

FrancisdeSales Sun 12-Jun-16 22:54:13

You should never buy a child or baby car seat second hand because if it has already been in a car accident the shock absorbency can be damaged. Always buy new.

AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:58:55

CeeCee00 Sun 12-Jun-16 23:00:51

Baby sleeping bags are great from eBay, rather than costing £20 each I got 2 for about a tenner. Bought baby grows and really good quality clothes pretty cheaply too, often buying from the same seller and combining postage.

ProseccoPoppy Sun 12-Jun-16 23:01:02

Definitely brand new mattress (sids risk) and car seat (how else do you know it hasn't been in an accident?) those are non negotiable imho. For us we put travel cot in the same category as mattress (as it came with one) so new for that too. I really wanted a lovely shiny new pram and so did DH. Obviously didn't technically need new but frankly we could afford it and had a lovely time choosing it and it's exactly what we wanted so has been completely worth it smile. I don't think that's precious I think it's just enjoying the fun choosing stuff stage. Unless you're on a really tight budget I think you should do whatever you're happiest with. For me that meant new for all the big stuff but 2nd hand for loads of clothes and books and toys.

MariaSklodowska Sun 12-Jun-16 23:01:42

mattress and car seat

purpleporpoise Sun 12-Jun-16 23:02:01

I'd get a pram on eBay as you can wash all the parts the baby touches. People win them, or they get given them or they buy one they later decide doesn't work for them. My friend got a Stokke one half the new price and it's spotless. I know someone asked to test an expensive pram but doesn't want it so sold it on eBay, it's barely used

ProseccoPoppy Sun 12-Jun-16 23:05:06

Oh and don't buy a breast pump second hand unless you're absolutely certain it's a closed system, many aren't and if it's an open system it just isn't hygienic to have a used one - kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/buying-a-used-or-new-pump/

ALemonyPea Sun 12-Jun-16 23:07:51

Prams sure fine off Ebay, you can get a good bargain normally on well listed ones. Try get a local one so you can look at it beforehand.

BikeRunSki Sun 12-Jun-16 23:09:42

Everything as second hand for both DC apart from cot mattress and car seat. Reused the car seat for DC2, but I knew that it had not been in any accidents.

NCT nearly new sales are excellent for very good condition baby stuff.
They happen every spring and autumn across the country.
Nearly New Sales. You don't have to be an NCT member to go.

AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 23:14:26

DailyMailGOFuckOff Sun 12-Jun-16 23:21:25

Cot mattress, dummies, nappies, bottles and car seat I would buy new

The rest second hand

BikeRunSki Sun 12-Jun-16 23:22:04

Super, hope you get some bargains!

Kiwiinkits Mon 13-Jun-16 05:05:54

Buy good quality brands second hand for everything. The best quality possible. Because you'll be able to re-sell it for good money at the end of your baby stage (which doesn't last long). For example Stokke gear has excellent resale value.

5minutestobed Mon 13-Jun-16 05:14:34

Why don't you buy a pram from gumtree or a fb selling site instead then OP, then you can go and see it first?

TheWitchesofIzalith Mon 13-Jun-16 05:27:25

I bought a lot secondhand except a car seat and mattress and breast pump. Got a lovely Mothercare wooden cot that was over £200 new for £50, you'd never have known it was secondhand.
Definitely try your local gumtree as you can view items first.

cosmicglittergirl Mon 13-Jun-16 07:42:59

Also try free cycle. I gave away a pushchair, bouncer and change station thing on that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now