Talk

Advanced search

anyone care to tell me your must have buys for new baby?

(75 Posts)
AprilSkies44 Thu 09-Jun-16 22:35:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MotherOfGlob Thu 09-Jun-16 23:00:46

This.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0037ZTT2A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?qid=1465509542&sr=8-1&keywords=tippitoes+mini+bath&pi=SX200_QL40

Saves so much faffing as you can have one hand free to reach for soap etc.

starpatch Fri 10-Jun-16 00:25:27

Congrats! Saw you have an older two so you probably already know this but for anyone else reading this I would say something that rocks for baby to sleep in (moses basket on stand or rocking cradle) plus a good quality bouncer chair one that they can be left to sleep in if necessary (like this one but its discontinued www.amazon.co.uk/Cosatto-Deluxe-Foldaway-Rockabye-Bouncer/dp/B000HZ6188).

apatheticfallacy Fri 10-Jun-16 00:45:35

Interesting - the first post is a baby bath which would be no1 on my list of things you don't need. I suppose it shows everyone (and every baby) is different.

I love the ergo baby carrier - rarely use a pushchair because it's just so comfy and convenient. Sleeping bags remove the faff of blankets getting tangled or unwrapped.

I think lots of the 'must haves' are clever marketing

c737 Fri 10-Jun-16 07:31:40

It's expensive but I really liked the baby bjorn bouncy seat (around £100 but you can pick one up on eBay for £50 ish). My baby didn't like any seats I put him in apart from this one - he was happy to sit in it for ages and loved the little toy bar at the front. Life saver for me when I had older toddler to deal with as well.

Northernlurker Fri 10-Jun-16 07:38:53

Baby baths are definitely NOT a must have imo.

I think the pretty Muslins you can buy now are epic though.

missmayup Fri 10-Jun-16 07:45:11

Id definitely champion a bouncy chair. They've saved my bacon so many times! (You can shower in peace! Bubba in chair means they're still near you but you can be clean, woo!) Tried a couple but my two seemed happiest in the bright starts ones that are around £25-£30. They vibrate which calms baby and helps their windiness, and they seem to be the right angle too, I've seen some which are super flat and look uncomfortable for baby! Congrats smile

Luckystar1 Fri 10-Jun-16 07:55:43

Kimono style vests (can get them in Zara and H&M) much easier than trying to get vests over little heads.

DropYourSword Fri 10-Jun-16 08:00:51

My 'must have' isn't actually a piece of equipment. Research and find a good paediatrician / doctor who can assess tongue and lip ties. Hopefully you won't need them, but if you do go and see them sooner rather than later. I've just had 6 hellish weeks with a colicky, refluxy baby who just didn't sleep and fed poorly most of the time. He's just had a posterior tongue tie snipped today, and already the feeds are easier. It can create a load of problems if note diagnosed and corrected if it's causing issues.

Thataintnoetchasketch Fri 10-Jun-16 08:02:08

We used a baby swing chair, woombie swaddles & close caboo carrier a lot in the early days. The pram travel system has also been really good. Being able to put the car seat on the pram chassis is really handy if DS is asleep & I'm nipping into a shop quickly.

Think we used the baby bath once - I wouldn't bother with one again.

BexusSugarush Fri 10-Jun-16 08:16:06

My must haves were kimono-style vests, Ewan the Dream Sheep and Lansinoh nipple cream.

spacefrog35 Fri 10-Jun-16 08:23:38

My DD hates being swaddled & screams blue murder if you put her in a sling/carrier! They really are so different

I'd be insane without Ewan/white noise apps on my phone, only thing guaranteed to get her to sleep. Towels with little hoods, huge muslins & bibs (reflux) are other things we seem to need an endless supply of grin

Congratulations btw flowers

P1nkP0ppy Fri 10-Jun-16 08:29:46

A night light for the nursery
Muslins and dribble bibs for later

Timetogrowup2016 Fri 10-Jun-16 08:43:07

A swing and bouncy chair.
Dd is not happy left on her play mat and likes to look around in her bouncer. Handy when needing to wash bottles/shower etc.
Swing chair is her day time nap place-life saver for us.
Clean clothes
Nappies
Bibs
Muslims
Sleeping bags
Travel system/sling

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Fri 10-Jun-16 08:53:24

The Sleepyhead Deluxe - it's essentially a cushion that costs £100+ so I was a bit shock but we bought one when DD was a few days old as she only wanted to sleep in bed with me and I was terrified of hurting her. You can use it in a crib (we have a snuzpod - so essentially this baby has £350 of skewing solutions!!) or you can put it in your bed like a protective nest for co-sleeping (if your bed is big enough!) or can be used during the day. Our 4 week old self settles in it once in a blue moon and while it's not a magic solution it definitely helps! Don't bother spending the extra £40 on a cover though, I just put a muslin over it, much easier to keep washing those!

GrouchyKiwi Fri 10-Jun-16 09:12:41

Agree with sleeping bags, though I don't use them before the baby is rolling over.

Reusable cloths instead of packets of wipes. They do a much better job of cleaning, especially after a poonami. I do have packets of wipes for when I can't be bothered or when we're travelling.

Reusable breast pads if you're breastfeeding. Much more comfortable and absorbent than disposable ones.

A bag with many pockets to use as a change bag. Lots of pockets makes it easier to find things.

Bouncy/vibrating chair for reasons stated above.

Lansinoh and an excellent hand cream for you.

If you use public transport then a pushchair that only needs one hand to fold it (and open it again) is brilliant.

spacefrog35 Fri 10-Jun-16 12:27:00

Oh God yes, hand cream! My hands were wrecked for the first few weeks. I actually ended up using lanisoh on them they were so badly chapped blush

FizzyFeet Fri 10-Jun-16 20:02:01

If you formula feed - a Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep machine

Ewan the Dream Sheep/ white noise app

Angelcare monitor

Silicone earplugs!

AprilSkies44 Fri 10-Jun-16 20:07:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Salene Fri 10-Jun-16 20:09:48

Cacoonababy

Life savers to get some sleep

Ilovewillow Fri 10-Jun-16 20:16:18

Muslins great for almost everything! Aden and Anais are lovely and extra big! Their bibs ate great too! Second the baby bjiorn seat!

nicolasixx Fri 10-Jun-16 20:18:30

Aden & Anais muslins - crazy but just felt like a little bit of luxury! V practical too.

BertieBotts Fri 10-Jun-16 20:21:54

If you want a co sleeper cot and you have the space, it's possible (and often cheaper) to convert a normal cot or even a cotbed. It gives you more flexibility as those co sleeper cots are normally smaller than a normal one.

You can convert any of the ikea cots where the side comes off. (What to look for in other cots: removable fourth side; totally straight up sides) It involves drilling four new holes, but you'll get it a perfect fit to your bed then rather than one of a number of settings. Push the cot mattress over to fill the gap and plug the far side with tightly rolled towels.

I'd also recommend a stretchy wrap and later a Manduca carrier.

NapQueen Fri 10-Jun-16 20:22:45

Yy to aden and anais muslins they can often be found cheaper in tk max.

I loved my tiny love three in one napper. It's a rocker/chair/lie flat sleeping area with vibrate and a mobile arm over the top. Worth its weight in gold.

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Fri 10-Jun-16 20:24:02

Oh yes Aiden and Anais muslins - but get them from tk max! 3 for £15 instead of close to £50!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now