How to get 6 year old to listen?

(8 Posts)
babydances Wed 08-Jun-16 10:11:45

Hi everyone,
My dc in the last few weeks is getting more brazen with the not listening and I have to say it over and over again.
I'm sure that this is of course normal but does anyone have any suggestions to improve dc behaviour?
This also includes meal times having a diva strop about what we've made and not wanting to tidy their room.
Tia x

Lweji Wed 08-Jun-16 10:18:08

You can
Go down to his eye level when you talk to him.
Make sure he's paying attention.
Touch him when asking something.
Explain the reasons why (short) and not just tell him to.
Give fair warning (5 min, 1 min).
Make consequences clear and follow through every time with just one warning.
Count to three when making an urgent request.

babydances Wed 08-Jun-16 10:41:43

Hahaha thank you. I do all these!

babydances Wed 08-Jun-16 10:51:35

Might have to get the ol' reward chart out again.

youlemming Wed 08-Jun-16 16:25:11

If you can let me know when you find the answer to this that would be great, feel like DD1 is 6 going on 13 at the moment

Lweji Wed 08-Jun-16 16:58:06

So, he's punished when he doesn't listen?

Believeitornot Wed 08-Jun-16 22:01:55

Sometimes my 6 year old doesn't hear me so I definitely have to get him to look me in the eye.

Other times we talk about it and we might have a little negotiation.

Sometimes he disagrees and actually sometimes he has a point.

Other times he listens without any fuss. In fact on reflection he listens most of the time.

So it might not be appropriate to expect full obedience - you want a child who is independent and capable of making judgements so maybe give him chances to do that and suffer a bit of consequence if he doesn't listen the first couple of times.

Eg if he has a strop at a meal time, I would tell him how to behave and then ignore it completely. If he doesn't tidy up (not sure about that one - we help ours tidy up or be specific about the jobs. Eg make the bed, put the books on the shelves etc).

Lweji Wed 08-Jun-16 22:06:43

Also, don't forget to check it's not actually a hearing problem.
When my ds was really bad at hearing me, he had glue ear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now