Talk

Advanced search

2 week old baby - is this colic/constipation

(6 Posts)
Klh91x Tue 07-Jun-16 17:50:33

My little boy is 16 days old & is bottle fed.

He had been regularly pooing multiple times a day since the day he was born up till he was 6 days old (may be worth mentioning he was on antibiotics for a day after he was born which could have affected his bowels) he then didn't poo until 4 days later, he has been pooing every few days since, & his poos appear as they were before he stopped pooing.

Since the day his poos stopped being so regular he has had daily outbursts of crying, straining, kicking his legs & then sucking on his hands. These episodes usually last around a minute, or so, he is then quiet for a few minutes then does the same again, this usually continues until he falls asleep which can be an hour or more. He also usually passes wind throughout these episodes. Could this be colic/constipation or anything else? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Kate

MrsPatrickDempsey Tue 07-Jun-16 18:15:19

Constipation means hard dry stools; what is the consistency of his poos?

MrsPatrickDempsey Tue 07-Jun-16 18:18:00

Also, colic is a very generic term: a kind of 'we don't know why babies cry so let's call it something' type of thing with no evidence base whatsoever. I always post this link on here but I think it's fab.

babyhintsandtips.com/doctor-tips-colic-bore-your-baby-to-sleep/

MrsPatrickDempsey Tue 07-Jun-16 18:20:08

10thparagraph!!

Klh91x Tue 07-Jun-16 19:02:30

MrsPatrickDempsy - his poos are soft & are the same texture as before he stopped pooing. I presumed constipation from the straining & farting. Thanks for posting that article, it made for interesting reading! As you can imagine we've had lots of visitors since his been born & i only mentioned to my partner a couple of days ago how symptoms seemed worse after a long visit, also explains why giving a dummy soothes him!

lemoncakes Tue 07-Jun-16 19:28:44

It sounds like it could be wind - have you tried using infacol or dentinox drops? I have used both with success. You can use gripe water when they are a month old - I tried in desperation on DDs first feed the day she turned one month and it didn't do a thing, gave up after a day!

Lots and lots of winding after each feed too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now