Talk

Advanced search

Baby doll suggestions for when no2 arrives.

(11 Posts)
prettyflowers111 Mon 06-Jun-16 10:25:21

Due baby number number in August and Dd1 is beyond excited. She's just turned 4 but extremely articulate and has fantastic understanding of things.
Someone recently asked (in front of her), if we'll be getting her her own baby to look after once bubs arrives. Now Dd has never owned a doll, nor shown any interest in ever wanting one or playing with one, but suddenly it's a goer and she would like a doll to look after.
So.... where do I start? I'd like one that is sort of baby sized, that we can dress in baby clothes and a nappy, most I've seen look smaller. We're more into our ethical and fair trade toys but I'm thinking that a plastic baby annabel type would be better for bathing/washing etc?
What did you do when no2 arrived? Any other ideas?

HeadDreamer Mon 06-Jun-16 10:32:45

Do you know if the baby will be a boy or a girl? I got a Elsa and Anna doll for DD1 because she would be having a little sister. It's not a baby as such, but children have a lot of imagination. DD1 never like dolls and will bath, change nappies and feed her bunny instead.

HeadDreamer Mon 06-Jun-16 10:34:03

And DD1 was frozen mad. I'm guessing your 4 year old is in princesses and frozen too?

ShelaghTurner Mon 06-Jun-16 10:34:33

My two love the ELC newborn doll. They have both versions and play with them constantly. They are pretty cute blush

www.elc.co.uk/Cupcake-Newborn-Baby-Girl-Doll/136792,default,pd.html

HeadDreamer Mon 06-Jun-16 10:37:17

Like this
www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4537256.htm

There are other princesses too.

Somerville Mon 06-Jun-16 10:45:54

From a cursory glance at the title I thought you were wanting suggestions for a baby doll (lingerie) to wear while you gave birth!

But since I'm here I'll try and be helpful. Ummm, can't remember which brand of baby doll my girls had, but I do remember that getting the bigger sized one was best, as then it could be dressed in hand-me-down newborn clothes (or pick some up in a charity shop if you don't want it sharing clothes with your baby!) which are much cheaper than hideously overpriced doll clothing.

Also their favourite accessory was a doll sling for baby wearing.

prettyflowers111 Mon 06-Jun-16 21:43:35

Haha it didn't occur to me.... nope not looking for fancy undies to give birth in I'm afraid... could be an interesting thread though!

Baby no2 is another girl grin and yes we're somewhat frozen/princess obsessed at the moment. We plan on baby wearing no2... not getting a pram this time as I could count on one hand how often it was used with DD so a doll sling is also a fab idea! I was thinking of something that newborn clothing would fit and also a newborn cloth nappy so that she could do her own doll while I do baby.
Thanks for your suggestions... lots of online browsing ahead!

1Potato2 Tue 07-Jun-16 17:08:55

Can recommend bathe ELC doll too

minipie Tue 07-Jun-16 17:15:54

Does your DD already have a toy that she loves?

My DD1 treats her beloved soft toy lion as a "baby" - she puts him to bed, feeds him, puts a nappy on him etc. She has never shown any interest in the two dolls she has been given.

Just asking because it may be that the doll would be ignored in favour of the existing favourite toy.

Daisyandbabies Thu 09-Jun-16 08:27:03

I wouldn't bother, to be honest. I got one for my son before my daughter was born and he painted it's face with black paint. grin
I would save the money and get a present from the baby for the older child and a fun feeding bag, which is a bag of goodies like stickers and magazines that you look at together that comes out only when you are feeding the baby

chariotsofire Thu 09-Jun-16 08:37:05

My 4 year old loves her Baby Annabell doll and it cries and snores etc so more 'real' in that sense. It is quite bulky and heavy and at first I was worried she wouldn't find her easy to play with but that is fine. You can also get car seat, changing bag, nappies, high hair etc which might help her feel more involved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now