Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Okay to travel w DS has chicken pox? Grandparents will watch him

(14 Posts)
Mamabear12 Mon 06-Jun-16 07:00:10

Is it okay to travel and leave my DS with grandparents? He came down w first spots sat evening and we are supposed to leave thurs. grandparents fly in Wednesday. I'm sure it will be fine. But my son is 2.5 so of course I worry. We have planned this trip several months ago. Grandparents are capable and will have nanny help half the day. There is also my DD who's four as well. But she is well behaved and has had the chicken pox already. What do u think? Would u go or stay? Trip is for a wedding and tickets were quite expensive. I just worry about leaving my poor son for three days sad I know he will be in good hands. But grandparents don't always know what he wants (he doesn't always use his words) and I just seem to know. Mama knows best 😃

greatbigwho Mon 06-Jun-16 07:29:30

I wouldn't - I'd find it really hard to relax knowing my child was potentially distressed and feeling really unwell and I wasn't there for them.

What do the grandparents say about it?

Convoysandwich Mon 06-Jun-16 07:32:50

I would definitely go. It will be 5 days after the first spots appeared so he may well not be contagious by then anyway.

If he does still have some spots that haven't crusted over, will you be able to avoid contact with others if you do go?

Allyoucaneat Mon 06-Jun-16 07:34:42

By Thursday he'll fine and probably bouncing about again, even if he's still a bit spotty. I'd go!

Luckystar1 Mon 06-Jun-16 07:34:47

My parents went to work every day when I had chicken pox and left me with a neighbour. I was older though (5 or 6 I think) so I can remember it, but I don't remember being in any way distressed, just itchy!

Sorry I know it's not the same thing as they were home in the evening, but they certainly weren't there for me all day.

I'm sure he will be fine, but it's entirely your call (and your parents!)

FemaleDilbert Mon 06-Jun-16 07:36:10

Assuming the wedding isn't in Outer Mongolia and you could come home in an emergency within a day or so I'd go, if grandparents are ok with that

PeaceOfWildThings Mon 06-Jun-16 07:40:43

How clear are the grandparents about how they feel about it? How close are they to your son? What if he cries the whole time, how would they deal with that? (It's one thing if it's your own child, quite another if you're not the parent. It can cause resentment and start a family rift, which is worth avoiding.)

PeaceOfWildThings Mon 06-Jun-16 07:43:59

But yes, it is ok for you to travel and to leave him with grandparents and your daughter. (So long as grandparents are healtjy themselves and don't have poor immunity). He shouldn't be travelling himself though.

blackteaplease Mon 06-Jun-16 07:47:53

I wouldn't. Ds2 had chicken pox over Christmas and it was nasty. She was quite distressed by it and I don't think it would be fair on the child or grandparents.

If it was me I would send one parent to the wedding and the other stay behind for the dc. Or possibly cancel altogether depending on how bad the pox is.

Mamabear12 Mon 06-Jun-16 08:41:24

Grandparents are aware and flying in. I'm considering staying depending how he is on weds. Today he is a little more itchy. But no way distressed. He smiles a lot, laughs a lot. And gets the out cry out or tantrum (but he has bad tantrums when healthy) and actually almost better moods now with chicken pox! I don't think his parents would get resentful esp w nanny coming half the day to help. It's more of my worry about my son. But if he seems on the mend I will go. But I guess I'll have to wait until weds to make that decision. If it was my mom who has little patience I would stay, it's actually my in laws coming, who are VERY patient and will be fine. I'm just worried if something happens and they don't spot it quick enough. But again I'll wait and decide weds. My daughter had it at 12 months and was fine. A little grumpy, covered in spots though. But luckily never itched once. But wasn't too distressed. Just sat w grumpy face watching cartoons. My son is a little itching. But who know how he will be by tomo or next day.

MrsJayy Mon 06-Jun-16 08:43:38

He should be a bit better by thursday if GP are happy to have him and you are confident just go

PeaceOfWildThings Mon 06-Jun-16 08:45:06

Something could happen and they might not spot it. Stay.

MrsJayy Mon 06-Jun-16 08:50:20

What could happen ? These people have had their own children who more than likely had chicken pox

Mamabear12 Mon 06-Jun-16 11:41:32

Well, I have read those horror stories on daily mail! Ones where kids had to be hospitalised and one died from infections from chicken pox. Rare I know. But still. Will discuss w my husband when he returns and grandparents when they get back. at the moment he is well enough to leave w grandparents. But I know it could change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now