Talk

Advanced search

Speech 14month old advice.

(9 Posts)
DarlingSon Sun 05-Jun-16 21:25:01

Hello, I'm just look for some advice regarding my 14month old boys speech.
What can/did your children say at this age?
I feel like he doesn't say a lot, and need ideas on how to encourage him to say more, he babbles gobbledygook, which I can't make any sense of lol. He can say
Mum
Da
Ba
Quack quack (when ever he sees a duck or bird or when you say what noise does a duck make)

He used to say "what's that" "what is it" "i did it", he no longer says any of these things and has shortened it to "wazzat"

He has picture books and points to the pictures asks what it is and I tell him, - Apple he would say app, he would also repeat cat and hat, doesn't do any of that any more just flips to the next page.

He understands everything I'm saying to him, put it in the bin he takes whatever item asked of and does it, picks up items I ask him to etc.

I wouldn't be worried at what he can say at his age, it's what he used to do say and isn't now it's like he's regressed, is this normal? He's a lot chattier now than he used to be, to which only he can understand his language 🙊
I need advice on how to encourage his speech again, I'm always talking, reading, explaining to him, picture books etc and he always used to try and repeat some words from his books hasnt for a while.
He took his first steps at 10months and fully walking by 12months, could his little just be concentrating to much on the physical side for now?

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 05-Jun-16 21:39:08

My Dd is 13mo, almost 14mo.
Things that she says (and clearly understands ie. Says it in the appropriate situation):
- Mama
-Dada/Daddy
- Taa (meaning thank you when she wants you to give her something, you've given her something, or she gives you something)
- Baba (meaning baby, when she picks up her doll or pokes my pregnant belly!)
- Cat (points to our cat and shouts "CAT!" repeatedly. Every other animal she sees that has four legs ie a dog, horse, sheep all gets called a cat!)
- Duck (when she picks up her rubber duck toy)
- Hi (says it and waves)

But like your DS, she babbles away in her own little gobbledygook a lot! She also follows basic instructions like "can you bring mama your duck?" And she will go get the duck from the toy box. If I say "snack?" Or "milk?", she will toddle to the kitchen and bang on the fridge!

GrassW1dow Sun 05-Jun-16 22:05:44

DS (17mo) says nothing intelligible whatsoever. Maybe 'no'. thats it

museumum Sun 05-Jun-16 22:08:37

My ds had lots of babble but only five recognisable words on his second birthday. By three months later he had more words than I could count and now at nearly three he talks all the time.
14mo is very young to be expecting speech.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Sun 05-Jun-16 22:09:30

Neither of my two said anything g like that much at 14 months. Dd is 20 months and is about that level now although her understanding is brilliant.

Portobelly Sun 05-Jun-16 22:21:17

My son 16months, says emphatic ' yes'
To pretty much everything,

His compression is great, but he does have many words at all.

Mama
Dada
Yes.

HemseyWhemsyWooChoo Sun 05-Jun-16 22:36:52

My dd is 15 mths and says "hi ya", Ba, ma and da. The rest is gobbledegook. She had her check up with the hv last week and she said she should be saying 10 recognisible words by now according to their ASQ scoring. My dd has now been referred to a speech therapist. My 1st dd didn't speak recognisible words until she was 3 yrs old. She is 10 now and is Dyspraxic. My ds is 4yrs old now and was a little later talking (I can't remember exactly) but he was walking at 10 mths, eating solids early and physically active. Now I can't shut him up!
They are all so different. All I would say is if you are concerned go to your GP or hv to discuss. X

albertcampionscat Sun 05-Jun-16 23:46:49

DS1 had no words at all until he was 17 months old. He's 3.2 now and speech and language are more than on track.

MargaretCabbage Sun 05-Jun-16 23:49:16

My DS is 17 months and says 'there'. He did have five words at about 13 months old but he completely stopped saying them, it seems to have coincided with learning to walk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now