Talk

Advanced search

My milk has reduced and my baby is 8 1/2 months!! Help

(13 Posts)
2015mom Fri 03-Jun-16 20:23:32

My LO is 8 1/2 months and I really want to breastfeed ideally until he is 1, but if I can until he is 18 months because he will be at nursery and I want him to reap the benefits from breastfeeding.

However I am really worried because my breast milk has reduced. He is fully weaned so he has three meals a day and he has two big breastfeed in the morning before his breakfast which is 3 oz of breast milk mixed with cereal. Then he will have a little feed at 1.30 before his nap and before his nap at 4.30 and then a big feed before he goes to sleep.

I know my breasts have adjusted to the amount that my LO requires but after each feed I hardly express anytbing and I need the milk for his breakfast feed and want to store some in the fridge for when I go out.

Please can anyone help me increase my milk.

Thank you so much in advance

Writerwannabe83 Fri 03-Jun-16 21:14:42

Are you adamant that you only want him to have your breast milk?

I only ask because I went back to work when my BF son was 10 months and although at first I was pumping off milk for him to take to childminder's for his breakfast and pumping off milk so DH could give him a bottle before bed as I work shifts but it quickly became too exhausting and I just decided to use formula for a month when needed until he went on to Cow's Milk at 12 months of age anyway. I continued to breast feed alongside him having any formula/cow's milk.

DS is 2yrs and 2m and still has three breast feeds a day so introducing other milks at the age of 10 months didn't affect our breast feeding relationship at all.

However, I know some women are very reluctant to give formula but I just wanted to share my story and give you another perspective to say there are other options.

Well done to you though for your pumping commitment smile flowers

2015mom Fri 03-Jun-16 22:29:52

Thanks for your response.

Yes I really do want to continue breast feed.

When I am work I will breastfeed him in the morning and night and during the day if I have not expressed enough then LO will have cows milk so I'm not pressurised and exhausted.

I do really want to continue as I have read numerous articles saying breast milk is much better than giving cows milk in terms of the health benefits.

Scotinoz Sat 04-Jun-16 11:14:09

When both of mine hit about that age I couldn't express anything. They still fed 4-5 times a day and overnight, so there was plenty of milk but only babies could get it out. A couple of friends have said the same.

Its fine for them to have regular milk on cereal you know.

familysizepack Sun 05-Jun-16 14:17:34

I've expressed at work for 3 DC (I expressed for each until they were almost 1 year old) and apart from about 1 bowl of porridge for my PFB they have all had cows milk for their cereal etc. Way too much faff!

Mine still like to feed lots when I get home and at night so I am happy they get plenty of milk from me. Working hasn't stopped me from feeding at all. I fed the two oldest until >2 and I just fed during the day at weekends and before and after work on working days. (DC3 is still feeding at just over age 1.

When you are back at work and away from him + expressing at regular times, you will probably find you can get plenty. smile hope it goes well for you.

knittingbee Mon 06-Jun-16 20:20:52

I went back to work when DD was 9 months. She was still feeding 6/7 times a day at that point and was a total bottle refuser.

I never had any luck expressing with a pump at any point, even when DD was only having breast milk, and he put on weight like a trouper. A pump is no substitute for a nursing baby and certainly no indication of how much milk you're producing. I wouldn't worry, if your LO is having all those big feeds then there's nothing wrong with your supply! That said, especially in this hot weather, drinking plenty of water yourself is really important, as is getting enough rest (if possible!).

Established supply doesn't drop off so easily. Since being back at work I've been feeding once/twice a day, eventually DD would take water/cow's milk in a cup if I wasn't there, and she's now 2 and we're still feeding smile

helly29 Mon 06-Jun-16 22:18:18

I agree, it sounds like your supply is fine but it seems that is more the expressing that's not working so well. I found this around that time - ds got more than enough from me,but barely a drop with the pump.

I'd say carry on as you are, but maybe use cow's milk for cereal to save what you do manage to express. I also found pumping on the opposite side whilst feeding him got better results, although slightly tricky!

helly29 Mon 06-Jun-16 22:20:25

Forgot to say - I'm still feeding at 15 months, he has cow's milk at nursery and a feed morning and evening. He's been fine.

SproutingParsnip Tue 07-Jun-16 22:43:30

I would keep the bf for your 'bonding time' and use cows milk on his cereal / other meals.
My dd dropped her morning feed around that time, but we had a night feed until 12 months. My supply definitely dropped off towards the end but she was obviously getting enough fluid from water / her food. I image your DS will be the same hence the signals to your breasts to decrease your supply.

LainyC13 Thu 09-Jun-16 18:30:04

Fenugreek tablets you can get from Holland & Barrett's and blessed thistle tea. I used them to up my milk. My daughter is now 10 months old & still EBF apart from food obs! Warning tho the fenugreek makes you stink of curry lol!

2015mom Fri 10-Jun-16 07:39:12

Thank you everybody for your comments... They have been very helpful. Is it okay to give a baby under one cows milk in cereal? I know you are not allowed to give cows milk as a drink but can in cooking... Thought breakfast would be a lot to give baby cows milk

helly29 Fri 10-Jun-16 08:47:10

It's fine to use cow's milk for cereal - I think the recommendations to not give it as a drink are to stop people replacing breast milk or formula with it. Your baby is already getting what they need, cow's milk on cereal is an extra.

2015mom Fri 10-Jun-16 21:59:15

Okay thanks for the information zzz I may just do that if l cannot express anything.

I think my milk has increased so just gonna keep on expressing for now and feeding LO from breast

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now