Talk

Advanced search

9 week old eating less and more frequently

(6 Posts)
TML69 Wed 01-Jun-16 18:15:43

My 9 week old daughter was eating 90 ml formula/ebf with 5 mins on the breast before on average since 4/5 weeks olds and going anywhere between 1.5hrs to 4hrs in between feeds during day and night with the occasional 120/130ml in the last 2 weeks . At night it has always been a massive battle to get her to even get through 90ml as she constantly falls asleep after about 40ml and then I try every trick under the sun to wake her up to keep going.

However; the last few days she has completely digressed and is eating much less each feed (on average 60ml but sometimes as low as 20ml) and consequently is wanting to feed around every 1.5hrs. I wouldn't mind if this was only during the day but its also at night meaning we've gone from 1 maybe 2 feeds at night to 3 to 4. I'm exhausted!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to eat more at each feed and therefore have long breaks in between each feed?

We haven't started a routine yet as it seems too early and the flexibility of feeding on demand with a bottle whilst out and about has suited us but I'm wondering if that is the only way to get her reducing the number of feeds to 1 or none during the night?

TML69 Wed 01-Jun-16 18:22:58

P.s. She's also been a lot fussier/unsettled the last week and a half. Not as smiley and crying more in the evenings. I wouldn't say she has colic as she is not crying for 3 hrs straight every night but she is definitely more agitated at night and prone to screaming on/off for an hr or so - usually during feeding.

KatyN Thu 02-Jun-16 15:21:42

I think you need to ty and get her to take more less frequently, which I appreciate is easier to write than do. Is there anything that will keep her occupied? (Mine is completely placid in her pram. Keep her moving and all is fine in the world). I would feed regimentally at 3 hours, see if you can stretch 1.5 hr to 2 at first and then keep stretching her out. There may be some tears or you kay end up carrying her more than you would normally but snacking every 1.5 hrs is not on during the night!!!
Good luck, k

beela Thu 02-Jun-16 15:23:29

Try winding mid-feed?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 02-Jun-16 22:02:28

She's just thirsty, it's the heat. All will settle down again soon smile

TML69 Sat 04-Jun-16 12:27:18

Thank you for the suggestions - I've been trying them out so fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now