Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding - new bruise-like pain?

(5 Posts)
IrisBlue15 Tue 31-May-16 19:31:57

I've been breast feeding for 3.5 months now, apart from ongoing thrush it's gone quite well.
However this evening it feels like there's a bruise in my right boob. It's localised to one area, bottom leftish, but does feel like it's inside rather than on the surface. Does this sound like a blockage? How can I encourage it to clear? I don't want to get mastitis as I'm supposed to be moving house next week!

Dixiechick17 Tue 31-May-16 21:27:11

Could be a blockage, hot flannels on your boobs between feeds will help, also massaging and feeding as much as possible. If still sore go to the doctors

PenguinsAreAce Tue 31-May-16 21:31:59

Hand expressing sometimes helps, especially in bath or shower -you can direct the shower head at the 'bruise' to massage it too. With your hands you can massage firmly from the base of the breast to the nipple. Also try feeding baby first on that side at every feed, and in different positions if you can to ensure thorough drainage. Paracetamol might be worth considering if you can take it. Watch out for anything pressing into the breast, like a badly fitting or underwired bra, or your thumb if you support your breast during a feed.

Check your nipple for a white or yellowish spot of any kind. Sometimes a blockage there (bleb) causes pain further back.

Hope it gets better soon flowers

PenguinsAreAce Tue 31-May-16 21:33:34

Also some tips here

IrisBlue15 Tue 31-May-16 22:19:48

Thank you! Will give these a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now