Talk

Advanced search

Do you help grandparents?

(11 Posts)
Gillian1949 Fri 27-May-16 17:46:04

I have two American granddaughters aged 6 and 8. Their mother is unwell so they may well be spending the summer with us. We are in our sixties and not in the best of health so are panicking a bit!
Can you recommend - e.g. part-time nanny, holiday clubs, activities that are strenuous for kids but not for us, ways that they can make friends or anything else you can think of?

beela Fri 27-May-16 18:14:43

What area are you in?

There are bound to be lots of summer holiday clubs they could go to. Our district council runs sports clubs so maybe your council's website. Or your local library may have info on the activities that are happening near you.

CMOTDibbler Fri 27-May-16 18:18:24

If you post which area you are in, and what sort of dates you are looking at (US schools have a much longer summer than UK), then MNetters will have lots of ideas.

Do you know what sort of thing they are interested in? Sporty, dance, drama etc?

FlissMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 28-May-16 21:20:54

Hi Gillian1949,

I've moved your post into Parenting - think you'll find more ideas and support there.

Goodluck!

Coconut0il Sat 28-May-16 22:33:33

If the weather is nice I think the park is the best. Especially if you can find one with a nice bench or coffee shop for you to sit in. Your granddaughters can play and you can watch. Swimming, joining the library, forest walks all good too.
There are various holiday clubs near me so would be worth finding out about your local ones.

NerrSnerr Sun 29-May-16 10:16:45

It's worth looking at your local library as they usually do holiday activities. Sports centres often do holiday clubs too.

Cakescakescakes Sun 29-May-16 10:20:13

Do you have any friends or neighbours with similar ages grandkids or kids that they could meet up with to play?

kiki22 Sun 29-May-16 12:24:13

Do you have a garden? Might be worth investing in some play equipment for days when you are feeling tired. I would also set their expectations on what you can and cant do with them to start with don't start doing things you cant keep up.

EmilyAlice Sun 29-May-16 12:30:17

This Grandma recommends a trampoline. grin

boopdoop Sun 29-May-16 15:45:39

If you can find the details of your local children's centre they may have a list of summer clubs etc. Leisure centres often do them, so worth checking those. If you let us know your postcode area I'm sure people on here might be able to recommend. And a trampoline for the garden would probably be your best investment. My friends with kids of a similar age say it's the best thing they've bought as they'll spend hours on it! Also look up soft play centres near you - you'll be able to sit and have a cuppa whilst they run around and burn off energy for a couple of hours!

Sonotkylie Wed 01-Jun-16 09:55:05

Try '101 things for kids to do on a rainy day' (available from Amazon) and make sure you have some of the 'ingredients'. Loads of stuff in there and some they could probably do on their own. DS loves it - and there are lots of very girly things too!
More books in the same tone - e.g. 101 things to do with a piece of paper. May also help if that one goes down well.
Try to have one 'thing' every day and a mix of home and out - at least until you find out what works. Out can be just going for a walk. And kids need down time too - being bored helps their development (well as long as there are things they could do - e.g. books, colouring, puzzles). And films/ TV are good baby sitters too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now