Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody do a combination of nursery and nanny?

(7 Posts)
Chaby Thu 26-May-16 18:17:23

My DS has been on full time nursery since he was 13 months, and will soon be 2.5 years old. His first nursery was amazing but we moved 6 months ago and I just feel like he is not getting enough one to one attention or individual focus on his development in the new one. He has made friends and seems generally happy there, but I am wondering if a nanny a couple of days a week might be a better balance? Can you even get part time nannies for 2 days?

Toomanywheeliebinsagain Thu 26-May-16 21:48:31

I do this ( and have done this previously). Currently use nursery three days and nanny for 2.5 days a week. I work full time and have an elder child at primary school. It is not a cheap option by any stretch of the imagination but our nanny does add a huge amount to their lives, taking her out on trips, plus dates with friends who are part time and crucially time with her sister when she gets home from school. I also did 3 days nursery and 1 day nanny when they were younger and that also worked well

Kiwiinkits Mon 30-May-16 02:42:16

Yes, back when my eldest two were toddlers I used nursery up until 2pm then had a nanny pick DC up to do the afternoon shift. A good mix of both worlds (and it allows the children some quiet down time in their own home away from the noise and bustle of nursery).

Chaby Mon 30-May-16 08:02:29

Thanks for replying, sounds like it might be worth exploring further

waterrat Mon 30-May-16 17:06:21

My son who is just turned 4 hs been at a childminder since 14 months and started pre school at 3. So he has the close attention at childminders house as well as relationship with the other kids there and gets lots of fun out of the nursery environment too. I think its great. Personally I don't like a long day in nursery for little kids but they can get a lot from going part time.

waterrat Mon 30-May-16 17:07:29

Have a look at childminders in your area as they are normally more flexible than nannies. Ours is like a family member to our son and is the best thing to happen to us .

Chaby Tue 31-May-16 11:49:14

Kiwi had not thought about splitting the day up like that but I quite like that option. Definitely going to look into childminders and nanny's in my area, thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now