Talk

Advanced search

(Accidentally) chucked my baby on the floor ...

(3 Posts)
Dildals Thu 26-May-16 14:24:25

I feel awful.

My DH had put some stuff on top of a chest of drawers, including a large mirror, my DD went in to that room (she doesn't normally - it's the guest bedroom), pulled some of the things down and as a result the large mirror came tumbling down on her face! I was just around the corner, holding my 8m old, and heard the scream and bang. I rushed to her but in that split second I discarded the baby like a sac of potatoes! I honestly didn't think, in a pure reflex I just dropped him! The moment he hit the floor I realised I had done it I ran back, but I just can't get over the fact that I just chucked him!

Am I missing some vital mothering gene?!?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone tell me they've done something similar and I am not a sociopath freak!

(Both children are absolutely fine btw, although DD has got a few red marks on her face. Thankfully.)

bluechameleon Thu 26-May-16 14:29:36

I was trying to fill a bottle whilst holding DS when he was tiny and lost my grip on the milk. I almost dropped DS in my attempt to save the milk. In retrospect I should have prioritised the baby.

Daffodowndillies Thu 26-May-16 20:03:41

I was walking downhill next to a busy road with DS1 on his reins and DS2 in the buggy when DS1 threw his hat into the road. Without thinking I let go of the buggy to grab the hat before he tried to go after it, and turned round to see the buggy starting to roll down the hill. I then ran after after the buggy, literally dragging DS1 along the ground as I did so. I got to the buggy in time and both children were fine, but I felt like the worst mother in the world for completely forgetting about DS2 in favour of stopping DS1 from chasing a hat, which he couldn't have reached anyway due to the reins! It's so hard when you have more than 1, I think your instincts just kick in in the heat of the moment and tell you to protect your child at any cost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now