Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

half term clubs for primary school girls in South Kensington?

(10 Posts)
mjckensington Tue 24-May-16 02:00:31

We're moving to South Kensington this summer with our two girls--7 and 4 (we live in the Washington, DC suburbs at the moment). We're covered for childcare for the summer, but once school starts my husband and I will both be working, and I'm already wondering what the options are for half term camps in October. I've heard good things about Camp Beaumont and Fit for Sport...does anyone have any other suggestions for full day camps in easy striking distance of South Kensington? Also, how competitive are these--how early do you need to register?

Thanks for your help!

BoudicasBoudoir Tue 24-May-16 14:29:57

Hello, I thought I'd reply because your post looks a little lonely. Not that I am going to be much help...

I think one of the reasons for a lack of responses is that very few Brits live in South Kensington any more, particularly with kids. I lived there years ago and even then it was largely museums, embassies and isolated foreign millionaires. There are private schools there, but people tend to travel to them. If I were you I would ask around in the expat community, or try looking in areas which aren't too far and have more families: Fulham, Battersea, Chiswick, Wandsworth maybe. Try searching for 'half-term activities' rather than 'camps'.

And don't forget the brilliant South Ken museums, of course.

Good luck.

Supergran58 Wed 25-May-16 05:57:05

Im a state school teacher in Kensington and Chelsea. Im pretty sure one of the state schools in South Ken - cant remember which one - maybe Park Walk, will be running a holiday play centre that week. Ring up the local council, they will be able to advise.

Cloclomomo Wed 25-May-16 21:35:40

My kids are not school age yet, so I'm not really into the school holiday camp gig yet, but I have definitely seen lots advertised and will post back if I think of any more. For now, the ones that spring to mind are:

- Maggie & Rose (a family members' club in Sth Ken and Chiswick) does school holiday camps and I don't think you have to be a member: maggieandrose.com/classes/

- Little Gym (gymnastics) in Wandsworth and other locations

- Red Star Theatre Arts - this is in Putney, but I'm sure there are other similar things in Sth Ken: www.redstartheatrearts.com/#!latest-news/bk5y8

- Playball: www.playballkids.com/kids-summer-camps.php

This is from 2014, but may give you some leads: www.playballkids.com/kids-summer-camps.php

Cloclomomo Wed 25-May-16 21:36:34

sorry, this last link should have been to this:

www.kensingtonmums.co.uk/kmblog/index.php/archives/8908

Artandco Wed 25-May-16 21:38:34

The thing is these summer camps aren't really childcare in London. Most aren't full day but are say 10am-3/4pm as something for kids to do but not full childcare

Better option would be to hire a temp holiday nanny for the week

ElectroStallion Wed 25-May-16 21:46:53

Does their school offer half term care? Most independent schools do here.

mjckensington Thu 26-May-16 00:42:29

Thanks for all the ideas, these are so helpful! I never would have thought to look at the State schools, since we're using an independent school. As far as I can tell, our school hosts a Super Camp site in the summer and for the Easter break, but not for the other breaks. So I really appreciate all the help figuring out our options. Maybe we'll have to end up hiring someone to watch them at home, but I want to go into the decision with all the info!

ElectroStallion Thu 26-May-16 08:39:42

Ah, well, the supercamps are good. Dd did one last year that was all backwoodsy, pioneering stuff, and absolutely loved it.

Arty3542 Sat 09-Jul-16 15:54:17

I would like to know more about the Kensington area too! Our children might have a spot at Thomas's Kensington. But worried about the community... Is there even one? Would love a family friendly, even laidback if possible type of area to live. But walking distance to school. :/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now