Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding-milk coming through nose

(7 Posts)
MykaelaMeredith Tue 24-May-16 01:36:08

My 9 day old newborn is breastfeed but on occasion it begins to drip out of his nose while on the boob!

Sometimes it causes discomfort to him-sometimes it annoys him and he wriggles off!

MW has never heard of this happening before so just wondered if anyone else has?

HidinginPlainS1ght Tue 24-May-16 01:40:54

Have they checked his palate. It can be a sign of a cleft palate at the back. Apparently according to cleft teams we miss a lot at the initial baby check. They need to look with a tongue depressor ands torch. Not just feel. Otherwise maybe fast milk flow?

HappyAsASandboy Tue 24-May-16 02:44:50

This was normal for my three children. I had a fast let down, which meant they were generally overwhelmed with milk while they were tiny.

In our case, apart from snuffling and coughing during feeds, there was never any problems. Eventually they became better at managing the flow and/or the let down slowed.

TakesTwoToTango Tue 24-May-16 03:23:39

My eldest used to do this if I tried to feed lying down. No idea what caused it but dc seems fine and healthy smile

Jenijena Tue 24-May-16 04:11:18

Yes, it's happened here too...

Metalhead Tue 24-May-16 12:52:11

Happened to my DD1 too, she doesn't seem to have had any ill effects from it.

GoldPlatedBacon Tue 24-May-16 13:03:36

Me too. Hv was useless. gp said dd has a high palate but not cleft and otherwise wasn't concerned as she was gaining weight. It tailed off when she was around 4 months although it actually happened yesterday (she's 10 months now). I think now it happened when comfort feeding rather than feeding for hunger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now