Talk

Advanced search

7 mo with diarrhoea

(7 Posts)
bigchangesabound Sun 22-May-16 11:16:08

My 7 mo has been pooling constantly since Thursday- at least every hour, if not more sometimes. Always runny. She does not have a temperature, is not vomiting and is generally still happy (apart from when she gets nappy changed as bum is very sore.

I am giving her as much nappy off time as possible to let bum air. Am making sure she is hydrated- water and milk- still breastfeeding. Apart from this I don't know what to do? Should I contact the GP tomorrow? She doesn't seem ill/unwell just constantly pooing and straining when doing it. And I am a bit fed up of cleaning up poo all weekend! But don't know what they could do/would give. Any advice would be great thanks.

Could this be a result of teething? No teeth yet.

HollyC255552 Sun 22-May-16 12:47:19

I dont have much advice unfortunately but i think you should visit your gp tomorrow just to get her checked over for reassurance. They will probably just say its a little bug & its got to run its course but at least you can say you went. Your making sure she is getting enough fluids so thats good.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 22-May-16 12:59:47

No need to offer water, just Bf as much as she wants. Metainium is good for a sore bum, if you want to give that a try.

GrassW1dow Sun 22-May-16 18:07:47

sounds to me like temporary post viral lactose intolerance....my DS has had this twice (altho the triggering virus was nothing really).
Had the runs for 9 days but otherwise ok. GP said post viral lactose intolerance. I cut out lactose and the transformation was remarkable (the very next day). You're meant to re-introduce it slowly after about a month (e.g. 1 ounce per feed). It works.

dementedpixie Sun 22-May-16 18:11:28

The OP is breastfeeding and breastmilk contains lactose so not able to cut it out. I am sure it will run its course soon enough. Just keep up fluids and offer carb rich food to help firm things up

Dixiechick17 Sun 22-May-16 21:25:25

My DD had this for two months, but it was down to the type of formula, but I understand how horrible it is when they are constantly pooing and have a sore bum, I bought some cloth nappies for occassional use as they were very soft kn her bottom and I used Cocoa bottom butter, after trying most creams and it really helped. My usual go to was metanium, but it wasn't helping the sores she got.

GrassW1dow Mon 23-May-16 07:54:37

The OP is breastfeeding and breastmilk contains lactose so not able to cut it out. I am sure it will run its course soon enough.

I'd be inclined to do things differently. IF it's lactose intolerance (which of course it may not be), I am not sure it does just run its course without one changing anything....and even if it did, it could take a while (my DS had the sh*ts for 9 days before I did anything...thats a LONG time; god knows how long it would have continued if I hadn't done anything). Is it worth baby having the runs for so long just to carry on breastfeeding?

You could always stop breastfeeding for a couple of days (and express during that time to keep your milk up) and see if it does help? If it doesn't, then seems unlikely to be lactose intolerance and you can go back to breastfeeding as normal..? Just an idea?

Of course all this may be redundant if your baby is better now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now