Advanced search

Advice please (long about ss)

(6 Posts)
Queen4 Sat 21-May-16 18:10:46


This is my first post and I hope someone can help give me some reassurance

To cut a very long story short. I live in a flat and there has been a few repair issues with it I have reported them numerous times but because they needed access to another property to make it right and they wouldn't give them access. Anyway 6 years later obviously I have fought to get it fixed which has been draining to say the least but it has caused other problems in my house but until this one thing was fixed the rest could not be sorted.

So after a 6 year fight I got in touch with my local councillor to get it sorted as I couldn't decorate or sort things out until this was fixed. I contacted the councillor last week and have had a flurry of people in and out my house for 2 weeks once he got them moving.

Anyway getting to the point, yesterday I was expecting the area surveyor and inspector, when the area surveyor turned up he also turned up with 2 housing officers who I wasn't expecting but I didn't have a problem and said yeah no problem come on in.

I had reported mould in my child's bedroom and bathroom that is in dire states from the other repair that needed done. I have been treating the mould with astonish mould and mildew spray but had left it so they could see what it was like.

These 2 women housing officers started looking at places I hadn't reported but again I had no problem with this. One of the housing officers took a real disliking to the fact I had a cat and that she hated them. To which she told me I wasn't allowed it the house but I had gained permission from them 4 years ago when I got him I told her this so then her disliking turned to me.

My house is not messy it is clean but you can visably see toys like my daughter has a toy corner in our living room which because she was at school was untouched and neatly stacked in the corner and obviously her bedroom she has toy baskets a electronic word chat on her wall etc etc.

Towards the end of the visit the housing officer turned and said to me I have to inform you that I am going to inform SS that you have let your daughter live with this mould for 6 years. The mould has not been there for 6 years the original problem started 6 years ago but the mould had been there for about 3 months and gets treated and washed at least twice a week even when there is none there.

They have already been out regarding the mould when I first spotted it and got told it was cos we were drying our clothes on the radiator and to get a condenser tumble drier, I went and done that almost immediately and stopped as best I could drying clothes on the radiator but it still persists.

Anyway my point is now she is reporting me to social services and I am terrified, the council will be treating the wall and sorting the repairs out ASAP but I have read they can remove a child if there is mould and I am going out of my mind.

Does anyone have any advice they can give me.

Sorry for the long post but thanks in advance.

Feilin Sat 21-May-16 20:00:54

No advice on ss hopefully someone will comment helpfully soon but have you tried hg mould spray? Might keep it clear enough til it gets fixed.

Queen4 Sun 22-May-16 23:04:40

Anyone around who can help??

littlemonkey5 Sun 22-May-16 23:12:25

we have mould and a leak in our roof that has come through the bedroom celing.... reported to the council (council property) and still waiting for it to all be fixed - 11 weeks so far. We've had MW, HV and school and they're not worried, still have my children here.

I recommend bicarbonate of soda and white wine vinegar for the mould. Please give it a try - it's a miracle!

educatingarti Sun 22-May-16 23:12:38

Well I'm not an expert but I would think that if the problem of mould is now being sorted and there are no other reasons went as should be involved, then I can't see why they would want to remove your daughter. They try to keep children with parents where possible, not least because taking a child into care costs £££££ !

nopel Sun 22-May-16 23:24:48

The housing officer is being a knob. Poor housing is their responsibility and nothing to do with SS. Unless they have concerns about your parenting, the referral wouldn't even be looked at.

I work in safeguarding and refer all the time. You honestly don't need to worry about this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now