Talk

Advanced search

Separated Abdominal muscles 1 year post birth

(13 Posts)
Dixiechick17 Wed 18-May-16 17:56:43

To be fair, this is something I have only recently realised, someone posted a link which showed how you could tell if your abdominal muscles had knitted back together post pregnancy and I found that I can fit two fingers between the walls of the muscles all the way down, I haven't done any abdominal exercises since birth, my main exercise has been a lot of walking. I have a little bit of a loose tummy, but wasn't letting it bother me too much.

Anything that can be done through exercise? and any particular exercises that people can recommend? or is it a case of see the doctor and get physio?

uhoh2016 Wed 18-May-16 20:28:02

Go to your GP this happened to a friend if mine she had minor surgery to stitch them back together

steppemum Wed 18-May-16 20:42:20

My SIL had surgery for this. She had waited 2-3 years, but it didn't improve and she realised she was starting to get a lot of back ache. The link isn't proven, but as the stomach muscles do support the back, she felt there was a link.

She had the surgery, and the back problems stopped. the recovery time was quite long though if I recall.

Wolfiefan Wed 18-May-16 20:43:21

I had this for years. Physio sorted mine.

Nicnak2223 Wed 18-May-16 20:46:54

Can I ask how you can tell?

Bertieboo1 Wed 18-May-16 21:02:14

I had this after birth but no idea if they have managed to knit back together - how do you tell?

FusionChefGeoff Wed 18-May-16 21:22:12

I think I might have this - generally lost the baby weight but still look 4/5 months pregnant! I am also interested in how you know?

PacificDogwod Wed 18-May-16 21:27:11

It's called diastesis recti or diverication of the rectus muscle - v common after pregnancy.
It's an over stretching of the ligamental band between the rectus (deep) abdominal muscles, not the ones that would give your a six pack.

Do NOT do sit-ups to rectify this.

MuTu gives some sensible, free advice - I am not paid by her grin - she does talk sense.

Surgical repair is not really a minor procedure and would be a last resort IME.

PacificDogwod Wed 18-May-16 21:29:25

How do you tell?

Lie on your back, knees bent, and lift your head up - this will tense your abdominal muscles.
Feel at the midline - you might feel a gap, it normally gets expressed in finger widths. One or two finger widths tend to not cause problems, more that that is worth an assessment by a good Women's Health physiotherapist and learning the RIGHT kind of exercises to improve the muscle tone on either side. The ligament in the middle cannot be tightened up again (other than by surgery).

Dixiechick17 Thu 19-May-16 00:36:46

Thanks for the replies, and yes sorry should have put how you can tell, Thanks.pacific

I will have a chat with my GP and ask whether he thinks physio will help. I've got what I can only describe as a floating belly button, so am wondering if the lack of muscle there is causing it.

na5ima Thu 19-May-16 15:52:50

It's called diastesis recti .. It's a slow process but mine is pretty much closed now. Just need to do no crunch workouts.
I remember I could put my whole fist inside that's how big the gap was.. Just did a lot of HIIT workouts at home and walking which helped me close the gap ☺️

Bertieboo1 Thu 19-May-16 19:42:49

What are no crunch workouts? Sounds interesting!!

OreoHeaven Thu 19-May-16 19:50:44

If you see a Physio make sure it's a women's health one. I've been told that the exercises given to me by the Physio are not recommended for DR.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now