help we have our first ever nits

(4 Posts)
counttotenandbreathe Sun 15-May-16 14:40:53

My dd (4) was in the garden earlier and I noticed her scratching called her over and asked if her head had been itchy she said yes. I raked through her very long hair and spotted about 4 live lice I pulled them out. Went to the bath and sat in it with her smeared her in tea tree conditioner and sectioned and combed with the nitty gritty. Then rinsed in shower. Have now hair dried on hot and used my hair straighteners on her. (Her hair looks lovely now!) So expert mumsnetters what do I do now?? Keep checking and combing / hedrin / or will daily straightening do the trick??

BatFacedGrrl Sun 15-May-16 14:43:36

Just check every day or so and comb through with conditioner for the next fortnight so you get the complete life cycle

It's NOT recommended but I once sprinkled neat tea tree oil on one of mine and left it for an hour or two. I was at end of tether as just couldn't get rid of the damn things. It worked, she never had them again and as she's 17 now, think we are safely past all of that.

Watto1 Sun 15-May-16 14:47:03

We use Vosene 3 in 1 shampoo with tea tree in it. It's supposed to repel the lice. Not sure if it's luck or the shampoo, but we haven't had an infestation since we started using it (3 years).

counttotenandbreathe Mon 16-May-16 09:11:52

Thanks Batface and Watto I have been to buy vosene 3/1 so will use from now on with my tea tree conditioner. Straightened her hair again before school and doused in hairspray and tightest plaits ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now