Talk

Advanced search

How did your toddler DC1 react to your DC2 after you gave birth?

(19 Posts)
solidlygassy Sat 07-May-16 00:54:50

Worried about DD (18mo)'s reaction to impending birth of DS. Any shoulds and shouldn'ts?

Scotinoz Sat 07-May-16 05:54:44

My DD1 was 17 months when DD2 was born. She wasn't fazed in the least!

i just let her hold her baby sister when she wanted, included then both in everything, and didn't really change things much. You know, baby just had to snooze in the pram, i fed the baby while I did things with the eldest etc.

All good 😀

HerRoyalNotness Sat 07-May-16 06:06:25

He was besotted wth his baby brother. He loved babies then and still does. And they are great mates now 8 & 5. Even though the irritate each other too.

Luckystar1 Sat 07-May-16 06:06:32

I'm worried about the same! Scot has given me hope, although, friends with 2 have told a different story!!!!

BaronessEllaSaturday Sat 07-May-16 06:15:11

Dd1 was 19 months when dd2 was born. I have a picture of dd1 cuddling her in the hospital but my strongest memory was when we got home dd1 sat rocking dd2 in her car seat very gently. They have always been close and even now in their 20s they still keep in close contact.

winchester1 Sat 07-May-16 06:15:22

Dc1 was 16months when dc2 was born. He cried when she did the first time they met but after that he loved her. Was so excited when we came home, loved holding her and helping her. I just dis stuff with both of them, held him and he pushed the pushchair, fed her while he helped by holding her toy, we shh shh her to sleep together, sometimes he would sit beside her in the pram to help her get to sleep (sometimes dropped off himself too),etc.
Of course having two so small is hard but bo sibling rivalry yet for us. Dc2 is 15months now.

NickyEds Sat 07-May-16 06:26:28

Ds was 19 months when dd was born and has adored her since day 1. He cried for me (not daddy as had become usual) to put him to bed for the first two nights dd was home but that was it. He's very boisterous but was so gentle with her when she was tiny. Now she's 10 months and they have a giggle together -it's lovely.

MirandaWest Sat 07-May-16 06:39:54

DS was 22 months when DD was born. He said "nose" when he saw her for the first time. Then mostly ignored her presence until she was mobile at about 10 monthsgrin.

pinocchiosnose Sat 07-May-16 06:40:47

Dd was 16 months when ds was born. She completely ignored him at first then there were months of jealousy. Ds did cry quite a bit and i had to carry him around a lot so im sure that didnt help.They're great little friends now though.

pinocchiosnose Sat 07-May-16 06:43:11

Oh I didn't see your question sorry op. I did try and make a fuss of dd when ds wasn't being clingy. Good luck !

Panicmode1 Sat 07-May-16 06:53:19

DS1 was 15 months when DD was born. He was brilliant with her for the most part and I made sure that when the baby was sleeping, or not feeding, I gave him all of my attention in those early weeks. It was fine until she was mobile and then we had a trickier phase as she wanted to play with his stuff but couldn't, but then that phase passed (and in due course DS2 and 3!) slotted in. Now we just have the usual sibling squabbles and banter! I did heed the HV advice about not leaving the two of them together, even for a moment, until I was sure that he wasn't going to poke her or hurt her surreptitiously!

Blueredballoon Sat 07-May-16 06:59:33

Ds1 was (and still is) completely besotted with DS2. No jealousy whatsoever. He was 20 months at the time.

It's a little bit different now DS2 is crawling and can grab his toys but he still loves him really! The bond they have is amazing to watch actually.

winchester1 Sat 07-May-16 18:18:48

Before dc2 got mobile id sometimes give her a toy I knew dc1 liked them when tried to.grab it off her stop him and say swaps only. He then had to.find her a toy and swap. This so far seems to have stopped any issues with fighting for toys now she is mobile.

Trinpy Sat 07-May-16 18:38:46

Ds1 was 23 months when Ds2 was born. He mostly ignores his baby brother except when the baby cries or brings up some milk and then he is the first one there trying to rock him back to sleep or mop him up with a muslin cloth! He doesnt get jealous as such, but he doesn't like to be left out - if the baby is having his nappy changed then Ds1 wants his own nappy changed, etc.

I've been constantly telling Ds1 how helpful and kind he is and giving him baby-related jobs to do like asking him to get a nappy or vest for the baby. He really likes it when I tell him how much his brother loves him, etc, etc. It also helped when visitors to meet the new baby made a big fuss of Ds1 first and got him to 'show' them his new baby. I also let him hold the baby whenever he asks - he normally gets bored after a minute of this anyway!

Juanbablo Sat 07-May-16 21:36:19

Dc1 couldn't have actually cared less. He was 2yrs 4mths when dd arrived and he was indifferent to her. She was a very easy baby so she really didn't encroach on his life much at all.

As she grew they became good friends and they have a love/hate relationship now!

KatharinaRosalie Sun 08-May-16 07:37:25

DD was born a day after DS's 2nd birthday. At first he didn't show much interest, (luckily no jealousy) but then started to ask to hold baby and now he loves to make her laugh.
My tip - get a Moby or other similar wrap, so you can have your newborn close but can still run after the toddler.

thatsn0tmyname Sun 08-May-16 07:44:27

DS was almost 2 when DD was born. He was very sweet with her and fascinated by her. However, he could be rough in a well-meaning way such a violently rocking her car seat carrier or bouncing her reclining chair. He also had a habit of pouncing on her just as I'd got her to sleep which was infuriating. I'd recommend using a baby gate to separate them at nap time. He did play me up when I was feeding her by running off at the park or tipping out boxes of toys on the floor. Sorry to be gloomy, they were very sweet together but I'm amazed I've resisted smoking again.

SaltySeaBird Sun 08-May-16 07:47:18

DD is three and it's been absolute adoration. She is as besotted with DS as we are and keeps "giving" him her toys to play with so his Moses basket is always full of her stuff! I'm sure it won't last but it's very sweet at the moment.

BonerSibary Sun 08-May-16 21:06:23

Mostly pretty well. Occasional requests to put baby down or away, but otherwise great. Better than I expected. Very protective, didn't like guests holding her and would say 'that's mummy's baby'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now