Talk

Advanced search

What carseat to buy for nine month old?

(20 Posts)
Katieemilyxo Thu 05-May-16 13:31:51

I know iv posted about this before but im really struggling on what carseat to buy my 9 month old he is very tall for his age and weights around 25 lbs yes he can still go in his current one but he crys and shuffles around , he looks to big for it already, im currently looking at the britax eclipse and britax evolve stage1-2-3 , I wanted one which will last him the longest time possible and not to expensive. The evolve reviews look good but complaints about reclining the eclipse doesnt look like it would even last him till hes 4 as hes a big boy any suggestions on any others or ideas on the other two x

AppleMagic Thu 05-May-16 13:39:31

At 9months old he should still be rear facing. What about the Britax first class plus? That way you can keep him facing backwards until 18m or so and then turn forward until about 3 (I have tall kids and this is when they outgrew it height wise).

Katieemilyxo Thu 05-May-16 13:42:37

Most carseats iv looked at say they face forwards from that age, I would prefer him rearwards though going to take a look thank you x

Artandco Thu 05-May-16 13:43:31

Neither of those seats are suitable. They need to stay rear facing until at least 15 months by law, but many seats rear face now until 4 years. They are much safer.

Katieemilyxo Thu 05-May-16 13:56:46

Really? I dont understand why theyd be able to sell them, I know many people who use them to, I never knew about that do you have any suggestions on seats which I can buy x

Katieemilyxo Thu 05-May-16 13:59:06

I just read on gov.co.uk thats only if you buy a isofix seat, if you buy the weigh based ones they can go forward facing from 9kg and hes just over 11kg si it should be okay?x

honeysucklejasmine Thu 05-May-16 14:01:48

Have a look at some of the YouTube clips of car seat crash tests.

And then buy the very best seat you can afford. smile

lornathewizzard Thu 05-May-16 14:53:59

We have the Britax First Class plus for DD, now we're buying a second car seat as DS on the way, we have been recommended the Joie Stages. It rear faces for longer than the Britax so we're going to use the Joie for DD and the Britax for DS when he comes along.
And yes, the new law only applies to isofix at the moment, but rear facing for as long as possible is safer. We've had DD forward facing in the Britax but going to get her rear facing in the Joie hopefully when we get it

lornathewizzard Thu 05-May-16 14:55:03

DD is 21months and large if that helps!

CakeAndChocolate Thu 05-May-16 15:00:16

I have a big DS and we put him into the maxi cosi 2 way pearl at 9months. He is currently 2.5 and still rear facing in it. It says it will last until he is 4 but I think he will probably outgrow it a bit before then. You can turn it to forward face at any time.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you would consider forward facing at this age. All research says that children are safer rear facing. Our law has recently changed to say children must be rear facing until 15 months and as far as I know this is still the youngest in Europe, where by law children have to be rear facing for much longer.

Katieemilyxo Thu 05-May-16 15:19:20

Its not that I thought as it saids forward facing 9kg-18kg it ment you had to move it to forward facing I didnt know you could choose to have it rear facing if thats the case I will keep it rear facing x

moggle Thu 05-May-16 15:54:19

Yes you definitely don't have to switch them at 9kg. It's way safer to keep them rear facing. I've just bought the next stage seat for my 11kg daughter - she's 18m and about to grow out of her infant seat. In her new seat she can stay rear facing until 25kg if we want her to!! For her that will be past 7 years old! Not sure we will keep her in it that long but great to know we can if we want to.

Katieemilyxo Thu 05-May-16 16:23:06

Moggle, what seat do you use for her? And would it he ok for my son as hes 11kg but 9 months instead of 18 months x

moggle Thu 05-May-16 19:12:48

It's called an Axkid minikid. It is quite pricey - about £300 :-O . Technically it goes from 9kg but it would depend on his height probably. the shoulder straps start quite far up the back. Also it is only rear facing, some seats have the option to turn them forward later on. The Joie stages goes to 18kg I think and is quite a lot cheaper. These seats do tend to be a bit bigger and you do need to ideally have a fitting to make sure they fit in your car. The car seat board on here is great for advice (it's in the "products" topic).

Dixiechick17 Thu 05-May-16 23:15:56

The Joie stages is rear facing up to four years if needed, forward facing up to 12 years and is just £200. We were going to go for this but in the end after months of umming and ahhing we went for the Nuna rebl which is an I-size seat. It's pretty expensive, but as we had vouchers it didn't matter too much, had we been paying for it, we would have gone for the stages probably.

squizita Fri 06-May-16 11:48:20

This one is good as it's rear-facing so safe for a baby BUT designed for up to 4 years old. It also fits into a Focus which is good as some rear facers are huge.
incarsafetycentre.co.uk/product/hi-way-ii/
Very high safety rating etc.

Joie do a swivel one that's in my mum's car which is another good option for rear facing but tall.

We have a long skinny DD and it was a good solution for us. Word to the wise though the website 'suggested' a head hugger which was actually dangerous when attached according to pack instructions: if you buy the head hugger you need to velcro it on. We had a scary incident with a little head trapped at a dodgy angle on the M25 and had to contact the in car safety centre and Britax!

squizita Fri 06-May-16 11:49:39

...also invest in the wedge if you like peace and quiet a sleepy baby as you drive!grin

captaincake Sat 07-May-16 10:02:09

At his centiles you would be best with a harnessed to 25kg seat to ensure he is harnessed till he's at least 4 years. If you are looking to forward face before then the two way elite would be worth a look at as it can be rear or forward facing. If it were me I would probably be getting the axkid minikid.

captaincake Sat 07-May-16 10:06:31

(those two are better than others for taller children) need an edit button

avocadosweet Sat 07-May-16 10:21:03

Britax two way elite is good for tall children as it has a high back and fits until 25kg rear facing. DD1 is 3 and on 91st centile and she still has masses of space. It's about £200. I looked at Joie stages but discounted it because the car seatbelt gets in the way of the child getting into the seat, I thought it would be annoying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now