Pocket money and the tooth fairy

(4 Posts)
Tazlet Tue 03-May-16 12:32:51

Two quick questions:
1. What age did you start with pocket money?
2. What is the going rate for the tooth fairy these days?

BackforGood Tue 03-May-16 23:04:37

Mine all started from when they were 7.
Seemed a good time as they were old enough / good enough at maths to understand the concept tht different coines were different values, and could do the maths over how much to save if they wanted to save for something, how long it would take, and also if they spent some of it, how much would be left, etc.

Tooth fairy leaves 50p

OrlandaFuriosa Tue 03-May-16 23:27:54

Tooth fairy started when teeth first fell out. But, payment much lower than elsewhere. I explained tooth fairies are feudal and hereditary, generally going down on the mother's side. Ours, if ancient scots and saving thrifty ancestry, only gave x p per tooth. Daddy would match fund it. But much lower even so than the sassenach plutocrats elsewhere in the class. They had different tooth fairies with different traditions.

Pocket money started at 6, I think. Extra money could be earned for chores, extra reading etc.

OrlandaFuriosa Tue 03-May-16 23:29:48

I think our tooth fairy would be paying about 50 p now. I cherish a picture of the tooth fairy in a pink kilt, indeterminate gender.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now