Talk

Advanced search

If you bought a carrycot for your pram, did it get regular use?

(49 Posts)
Nemz716 Thu 28-Apr-16 11:06:38

Just wondering wether to buy one for my pram as not sure how much use it will get as might just use the car seat for quick outings and the pram seat for longer outings.

Any help appreciated :-) Thanks

Heirhelp Thu 28-Apr-16 11:13:11

Young babies can only be in a car seat for a maximum of 40 minutes to prevent SIDS. I personally would only use a pram seat for a child under 6 months if it fully reclined ao it was completely flat to prevent damage to their spines.

NicM87 Thu 28-Apr-16 11:14:00

I used the carry cot quite a lot, but I don't drive so it was better for me and I worried about the whole not being in a car seat for any length of time

AveEldon Thu 28-Apr-16 11:17:45

I think we used ours for 4 - 6 mths

moggle Thu 28-Apr-16 11:18:11

We used ours a lot until DD was about 5m. I walked around pushing her a lot and she slept or looked up at the trees or her toys dangling from the hood. I loved having a 'pram' to push in those early months of mat leave, and I loved having her facing me (our pushchair was forward facing only). There was a bit of PFB involved though and if I was doing it again I would probably buy the carrycot second hand, as they do get little use. Even after 5 months of almost every day use our carrycot still looked pristine and has just been returned to us after being used by our niece still looking new. So from that sense it has been worth it. I do wonder whether it'll get much use if we have a DC2 as it might be more practical to get a double, or have baby in the pushchair part from the beginning so older DD can swap in.
In the first months we only put the car seat on the pushchair for short trips where we knew she wouldn't be in there for more than about an hour or so at a time. once she was a few months old though we would use it for longer.

Heirhelp Thu 28-Apr-16 11:19:48

Some carrycots are suitable for over night sleeping so you don't need to buy a Moses basket.

ICJump Thu 28-Apr-16 11:21:23

Yes we used ours for sleeping rather than a Moses basket

SouthDownsSunshine Thu 28-Apr-16 11:22:26

We used the carrycot a lot, it was invaluable. But, I don't drive so I was walking most places.

We had one that could be taken off the buggy and used inside, so saved buying a moses basket.

HeadDreamer Thu 28-Apr-16 11:24:53

I used it for 6 months for both DC. Babies aren't supposed to be in their car seats for long periods of time. So everytime we went for a walk or went out of the car for just a nip into the shop, we took the baby from the car seat into the carrycot. We also used it inside the house as a Moses basket.

FranHastings Thu 28-Apr-16 11:26:08

I thought I would use it more than I did. I didn't really think about how I'd be using it. I do all the school runs, so it was much easier just to use the seat on the pushchair frame. As those were my main outings in the early days, it didn't get as much use as I thought it would.

It was a hassle to transfer the adaptors over too.

However, having said that, it was great on day trips and walks (but I couldn't do many because I ended up with a c section and it took me ages to recover!).

PansOnFire Thu 28-Apr-16 11:40:33

DS1 winter baby - thought I'd use it all the time because it was cold but it actually had the opposite effect. We didn't go out very much as the weather was bad and when we did it was to the shop, for those trips I had a foot muff on the car seat and a rain cover for when we got out of the car. The pram was too much of a faff to build up and collapse again when it was freezing and bad weather so I only used the car seat. I also didn't know how to get the baby into the pram when it was snowing and raining without him getting soaked so this worked well.

DS2 summer baby - used it all the time. We were out a lot and he could just sleep in there, he outgrew it at 7 months. By 6 months he wanted to sit up so we used the seat unit occasionally from then but he was so heavy that the car seat just stayed in the car.

I think it depends on your lifestyle.

JerryFerry Thu 28-Apr-16 11:44:06

Yes very much so as I love to walk and the baby could sleep and stay undisturbed in the pram wherever we ended up.

And just onsold it when it had been outgrown.

BexusSugarush Thu 28-Apr-16 13:00:48

We have only just put 4 month old dd in the seat-part of the pushchair, as the carrycot was ideal for her; especially as it meant she could get some sleep and I could have some peace and quiet when out and about. It was also useful in that it doubled up as a travel moses basket for when we stayed away from home. She actually wouldn't sleep in her moses basket for the first month of her life as it was too big for little her, so she slept in the carry cot too.

NannawifeofBaldr Thu 28-Apr-16 13:04:41

We used ours a lot because we did more outings in the pram than in the car.

It also meant that if they fell asleep in the pram I didn't have to move them (car seats not being suitable for long periods)

WordGetsAround Thu 28-Apr-16 13:14:59

The answer will always come down to your habits / context. I didn't have one for DC1&2 and didn't needed one. We went out when we fancied it and stayed in if it was very cold / wet. We had a lie flat pushchair and that did the job.
DC3 is due in Autumn and cone what may I have to do the school run twice a day - so I'll be getting a carrycot for the first time!

ODog Thu 28-Apr-16 14:27:40

Just sold it as virtually brand new as DS hated it. He wasn't a massive an of a buggy altogether but held a special hatred for the carrycot. Still shudder at the memory of our precious first walk in the Oran.

EsmesBees Thu 28-Apr-16 14:31:22

My dd hated the carrycot. Complete waste of money. Although she's not very keen on the buggy even now so might just be her

EmbraceTheSarcasm Thu 28-Apr-16 14:34:22

Used mine through three babies. I walked everywhere and wanted the completely flat support for a small baby plus the protection of the rigid carrycot.
Love a carrycot.

HelenF35 Thu 28-Apr-16 14:36:48

Ours hardly got used because ds hated it. He preferred the sling so that's where he went, unless he was out with dad who wouldn't wear it!

Daffolill Thu 28-Apr-16 15:01:28

I usually used the car seat unless I was walking, changed from carrycot to pushchair seat at around 4 months as I have nosy children who like to look around.

Obviously babies shouldn't be in a car seat for long periods due to the risk of oxygen deprivation and pressure on the spine but I'm pretty sure the limit isn't 40 minutes.

middlings Thu 28-Apr-16 15:05:29

Used ours a lot for six months for each of the DDs. In fact, it was DD1's main bed from week 13 - 18 as she slept through the night in it and after that, I wasn't moving her out of it!! Then she went into a cot.

I deliberately got one that can be used overnight and I have to say I've no regrets - I found it very useful.

Cakescakescakes Thu 28-Apr-16 15:07:42

Used it loads for DS1. DS2 had reflux so he was only in it once as he couldn't lie down for months so slept in a sling.

SerenityReynolds Thu 28-Apr-16 15:33:37

It depends on the kind of buggy you buy. Some have reclining seats that can be used from birth.

We used our carrycot for about 4 months with DC1 before she decided she didn't want to lie flat any more, and we just had to use the car seat or sling until she was old enough for the pram seat attachment. DC2 is 5 months and still quite happy in the carrycot!

Notso Thu 28-Apr-16 15:51:36

Yes. Loads of use. For DC 4 we didn't really have one as I tried loads of doubles and by the time I settled on one he was nearly 5 months and it didn't seem worth getting one. I really missed one.

Elle80 Thu 28-Apr-16 15:57:54

I used mine a lot actually. My parents bought us the Oyster Max double buggy thing with the carrycot when I had our second baby (our eldest was only 20 months so not able to walk far). I think I used it up until she was about 6 months, but I also used to set up the pushchair up as a 'single' with the carrycot in the living room and use that for her napping instead of bringing the Moses basket down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now