Talk

Advanced search

bottom wiping...

(8 Posts)
flipflopson5thavenue Wed 27-Apr-16 20:25:00

how old were your DC when they started wiping their own bottoms properly?

And did you ever show them how to do it?

DS1 is 3.9yo and started afternoons at preschool 5 days a week. Whereas I think the nurses at his private nursery still wipe some of the kids bottoms (I think...) they certainly don't at preschool. So he now claims that he wipes his own bottom while at nursery and preschool.

Except, of course, he doesn't really...hence some very mucky and smelly pants some days...

So did you all teach them how to wipe themselves properly?

Chocolateteabag Thu 28-Apr-16 06:02:13

Yep! Or rather DH did for ds1 as he has a thing about skiddy pants.

Ds1(5.5) often goes either first thing in the morning or last at night so we are about for "bum check" (with a wet wipe) but we also had to reward him for clean pants/bum.

He still has occasional days where he hasn't done it properly though

KatyN Thu 28-Apr-16 08:44:50

My son is 4.4 and wipes himself. He tends to have dry poos so there isn't much to wipe!!! But I taught him to keep wiping until the tissue is clean. It's the one requirement on his list for starting school in september

ayesar Fri 29-Apr-16 20:43:12

I taught my son by letting him year toilet paper and clean his bum with me watching. After he wiped a few times I wiped just to make sure it was fully clean. We practiced until he was getting his bum clean on his own. He got it at around 4.5.

kiki22 Sun 01-May-16 10:34:27

Kids deff need to be taught to wipe properly I would hate to think ds was in nursery with a pooy bum

imwithspud Sun 01-May-16 10:42:12

DD is 3.5 and doesn't wipe her bum, her pre-school have no problems in helping her either. Reassuring to hear that it's normal for her age. She starts school in Sept '17 so we'll start encouraging her to do it herself soon.

sunnyoutside Sun 01-May-16 10:50:47

DC1 was around the 3yr age (he's now 16 and my memory is hazy), dc2 was immediate almost - she needed guidance for a week or so. DC3 is 5 and still needs help. DC4 is 2 so not got there yet. I encourage, I show, I help - they get there when they get there.

sunnyoutside Sun 01-May-16 10:53:36

As far as I am aware pre school should definitely help your ds. My ds is in year one and whilst it isn't ideal the staff do attend and help him when needed. It is an ongoing thing. He is getting better smile
Oh and the school have never made me feel bad - if anything they have been great with him and with their suggestions to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now