Talk

Advanced search

Interactive toddler book for long haul flight

(21 Posts)
Daisyandbabies Tue 26-Apr-16 17:11:00

Pretty boring question here but struggling with ways in which I'm going to entertain my 20 month old on a 9 and a half hour flight.
She loves books...looking for a really good lift the flap/pop up/texture/activity type book that we can keep going back to. Needs to be better than 'Dear zoo' or the 'That's not my' range...they are finished in seconds.
Any recommendations would be really appreciated!

TheGirlOnTheLanding Tue 26-Apr-16 17:19:18

Depends on how good her speech is, but both of mine could spend hours on You Choose - no textures, no flaps and almost no words but lots of detailed pictures to get lost in. It asks things like what food would you choose and there are dozens of different types - or if you could live anywhere, what kind of place would you pick? With loads of little pics. My DDs would happily pick out their favourites and chat to me about why they would pick this or that, even at an early age (they were both talkers rather than walkers at that age) and the book was still a favourite years later.

Daisyandbabies Tue 26-Apr-16 17:22:16

Thanks, TheGirlOnTheLanding! We have You Choose, my 4 year old still loves that one. I will bring it but she's more of a tactile type girl, very hands on and wanting to 'do' something.

SunnySomer Tue 26-Apr-16 17:25:22

The Pop up Mice of Mr Brice is good if you can find a copy.
There is a good book called "The Yellow Balloon" which has no words but very, very detailed pictures which she could look at for ages and ages. No flaps to lift but loads to see.
Also sticker books - Usborne do some easier ones for small hands.

Daisyandbabies Tue 26-Apr-16 17:34:56

Thanks, Summysomer, will have a look for them smile

TheGirlOnTheLanding Tue 26-Apr-16 19:06:19

We also used to get some mileage from magnetic books - you know the sort of thing that has a scene and you arrange the pieces on them? But I can't remember who makes them. Magnetic dress up dollies are good for journeys too - we had the ones that come in a tin (Mudpuppy) and they were great. (I know that's not really a book but it's portable enough for a plane.)

TheGirlOnTheLanding Tue 26-Apr-16 19:07:43

Not one of the dress up dolls but nearest I could find
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Funny-Faces-Magnetic-Build-Its-Mudpuppy/dp/0735331340/ref=sr11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461694011&sr=8-1&keywords=Mudpuppy+magnetic

Daisyandbabies Tue 26-Apr-16 19:55:29

Brilliant, thanks TheGirlOnTheLanding!!

readingrainbow Tue 26-Apr-16 20:00:22

Check etsy for "busy books". They are amazingly clever.

MrsA2 Tue 26-Apr-16 20:13:31

I can not rate sticker books enough for this age, my DD is 21 months and we flew 4 hours each way last month. I actually found some really good ones with colouring and 200 stickers in a pound shop.

We also like Peepo in our house - not interactive as such but loads to spot in the pictures.

MrsA2 Tue 26-Apr-16 20:14:31

Oh, magic pen drawing books too! Mess free but entertaining for them. And snacks, one million snacks. Those are my tips for flying with a toddler. And an iPad

Artandco Tue 26-Apr-16 20:14:43

Where's wally books. Hundreds of things to discover and last years

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 26-Apr-16 20:15:43

We've got quite a few books in the 'Busy' series which DS really enjoys - they have something interactive on every page (lift, turn, pull) and clear but detailed pictures which are great for talking about. We took 'Busy Airport' on our last flight!

Scholtzy Tue 26-Apr-16 20:52:02

We have a couple of the Usborne see inside books (fairyland and space) each page has loads of flaps which kept my two busy for long periods, really pretty and fun. Good luck with the flight! smile

Daisyandbabies Tue 26-Apr-16 21:15:46

Brilliant, you girls are such a help!!
I don't think I can take snacks through security can? Think I need to buy them once I've cleared security from the likes of Boots?

SparklesandBangs Tue 26-Apr-16 21:23:44

You can take snacks through security as long as they are solid and not liquid.

SparklesandBangs Tue 26-Apr-16 21:25:31

I'm trying to remember back to when my DC were that age, we would have taken so little people and animals (FisherPrice) to play with on the tray table. How many seats do you have?

AuditAngel Tue 26-Apr-16 21:32:29

We used to have some magic drawing things that were like aqua doodle, but drawing on it with water revealed the picture. We also had an aqua doodle book for travelling. Easy to fill the little water pens using a sports cap water bottle, which you can buy after clearing secrity

AuditAngel Tue 26-Apr-16 21:33:38

Also, do you have an iPad? We have a game called Toca house that D2 started playing at about that age. You clean things, wash them up, sort letters

Artandco Tue 26-Apr-16 21:35:16

You can take snacks. You can also take liquids as long as under 100ml each. And you can take baby milk cartons of toddler milk, but they might open one or two to test. Can also buy stuff after security of course

Daisyandbabies Tue 26-Apr-16 21:41:43

I only have 2 seats, unfortunately. Too expensive to book bulk head seats too, it was £57 a seat each way and we are trying to save.
Loving all this advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now