Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Selling baby things

(10 Posts)
BettyBleue Tue 26-Apr-16 12:47:52

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but I'll give it a go. I want to sell some of my 9 month old DD's baby things - clothes, pram, moses basket etc.

I plan to advertise on Facebook. I have never sold anything before and could really use some advice, specifically on the following:

How do you set a price for second hand things - should I try to find out the original price and deduct a percentage, or just give a price that I think is reasonable?

Is Facebook generally considered a good place to sell baby things, or is there anything else that might be better? I'm not too keen on using ebay as I've heard a few negative things about selling on this site.

I have a huge bundle of baby clothes to sell, from 0-9 months. I'm unsure whether to try to sell the entire bundle, or break it down into smaller bundles. Which is better do you think?

Thank you in advance for your help.

MyBreadIsEggy Tue 26-Apr-16 12:55:53

If I'm selling second hand things that are still in great condition, I usually check eBay for that exact item and take the prices on there as a guide smile

LemonBreeland Tue 26-Apr-16 12:58:33

Check what other people are selling similar items for. On Facebook selling sites people tend to want something for nothing, so I generally sell for around 1/3 of the cost, if it something that is very popular I will maybe make it 1/2 of the original cost.

Barmaid101 Tue 26-Apr-16 19:29:30

Always put it on for a bit more than you would be willing to accept on Facebook people are always wanting to barter you down

uhoh2016 Tue 26-Apr-16 20:33:55

I use gumtree. Look at existing ads to gauge an idea of an acceptable price to advertise at.

Vinorosso74 Wed 27-Apr-16 18:30:09

I've sold quite a few things on Gumtree. I would sell the clothes in bundles of each size so 0-3, 3-6 etc but you could say you have other bundles in each ad. I would look at other ads to judge prices too. Go for sensible prices and price according to condition and shop the clothes are from.
Good luck!

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 27-Apr-16 18:46:10

Another vote here for Gumtree, I sold a lot of stuff on eBay but I started everything at 99p as I wasn't fussed about getting lots for them. Everything is gone except the clothes, which are selling in bundles on Gumtree quite well. If you are using eBay check your postage and fees or you can get really stung and check weight and dimensions for postage before listing. (My last eBay statement showed I had paid 40% of my total sales as fees, but I think in actuality its 10% of the total amount the buyer pays, plus PayPal fees on top).

BettyBleue Fri 29-Apr-16 00:50:03

Thank you all for your great advice. I'll definitely check out prices on ebay and advertise on gumtree as well as facebook and put prices a little higher too, as people will only try to barter as Barmaid101 said.

morethanonebaby Fri 02-Sep-16 08:53:10

It's quite difficult to get a good price, I've found. The problem is, listings are too short on eBay to find the right person who just happens to be looking for what you are selling in your kids sizes. Relisting is definitely worth doing, or making clear on gumtree you can post. Facebook works for quite desirable stuff, but less well for random bits. None of them are perfect - need to mix and match, and accept you never get much on these sites.

morethanonebaby Sun 09-Oct-16 15:14:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now