When did your toddler stop napping??

(10 Posts)
SwimInTea Mon 25-Apr-16 19:56:58

Hi all,

DS is 3.5 yo and still loves his post lunch nap. He has always been with a childminder, so naps were never an issue. However, towards the end of last year he started going to a pre school 2 mornings a week and I would like to add another full day sometime soon. However, the pre school doesn't have any place where the children can nap so I don't know what to do. DS will be starting reception next year so I also want him to stop napping by then.
On the days when the CM has school runs, DS only has a short nap and I can see he is pretty tired by evening. On weekends, we can easily nap for 3 hours if we don't wake him up! Is this usual for someone his age? When he is awake he is very alert and active. It's just that he loves his sleep 😊

Did you have to wean your LO off naps to get them ready for school?

TIA.

neversleepagain Mon 25-Apr-16 22:06:36

Mine would nap too if I let them (they are 3.7 now) but bedtime would be 8/8:30 and that is too late for my liking.

We stopped letting them nap when they turned 3 and bedtime is early at 6:15-6:30 and they sleep until 7:40/8am.

Xmasbaby11 Mon 25-Apr-16 22:09:19

Oh gosh, that seems old for napping! Dd1 had pretty much stopped by 18 months unless she was in the car. Dd2 is 2.2 and still has a nap most days, up to an hour. They are 2.2 and 4.2 now and go to bed at 8 and get up at 7.

Eminado Mon 25-Apr-16 22:13:20

My dd 2.9 still naps. We limit her to an hour during the week but on weekends she can do 2. I think she will drop them soon as it is getting harder and harder to convince her to go upstairs on an afternoon. We have the same issue as you re pre-school so she is currently doing mornings only.

SwimInTea Tue 26-Apr-16 12:26:04

Thanks all!

neversleepagain if DS doesn't nap then by 06:30 he is sleepy. That doesn't work for me as by the time I pick him from CM and get back home, it's 06:15. Right now, he goes to bed by 07:45, which means we can have some play time in the evening and can still get a bath done before bedtime.

Eminado I wish DS was reluctant to go upstairs for a nap! Over weekends, he happily goes upstairs once lunch is done smile

Maybe I can start with one full day at pre-school and see how it goes.

lazyminimoo Tue 26-Apr-16 20:10:24

My sons 3 an 4 months he still gets tired and naps In the afternoon a for up to 2 hours if he's been out on the morning to nursery ect he dosent nap though if he's just at home all day

mumtosp Tue 26-Apr-16 20:12:57

lazy II am glad my DS isn't the only one smile

Rinceoir Tue 26-Apr-16 20:15:43

My DD is barely 2, and hasn't napped at home in a few weeks- when she suddenly started wanting to stay up till midnight we stopped encouraging a nap and she was fine with it. She has 30mins on nursery days and she goes to bed 8-830, sleeps until 730-8.

BabySocks Tue 26-Apr-16 20:50:03

Yep 3 and 5 months here, still loves a nap but is generally restricted to an hour here and at nursery. However if he can't nap at pre school I would just not worry about it and accept he has a day or two a week without a nap - he'll catch up smile

trilbydoll Tue 26-Apr-16 20:53:41

If it doesn't mess up bedtime I wouldn't worry. DD is 2.11 and needs a nap but even 30 mins means she doesn't go to sleep until 10pm. Then the next day she is tired and needs a nap...

She can manage without one fairly easily though, I would have thought he would cope with one day at preschool then catch up the next day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now